Author Topic: Swindon Lad on the Local Election - 'Not Interested'  (Read 23794 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: Swindon Lad on the Local Election - 'Not Interested'
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2008, 10:40:39 PM »
if you do go back to 9 years ago today labour held all 3 seats in the ward (ok, '98 - '99 is the only time they have held all 3 seats in the ward)

I stand corrected, although with the caveat that that was before I moved to F&GP.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

No-Angel

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 04:22:40 PM »
And if you go back a bit further (when the ward was formed) the three seats were won by two Labour and 1 SDP. Simon Cordon (SDP) gained the seat by ONE vote…… which only goes to prove that in a close run election EVERY VOTE COUNTS

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »
1st election (of thamesdown, there were county elections before this) was on 8th May 1986

there were 3 elected, as you say 2 lab, but 1 'S/Li' [Simon] as it says on the results - so not technically a SDP win (although he was a member of the SDP he never actually stood as such per the official results)

also, his majority was greater than 1, there were 3 seats up
he came 3rd with 713 votes, 4th was John Garbutt (Lab) with 668 - so it was a 45 majority

the closest this ever has been is 4 ('98 election), the same year the tories won highworth by 1 vote & lib dems won lawns by 5.

No-Angel

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
I stand corrected on the final vote, but just to help your records SC was a stanch SDP man although pre merger he stood under the SDP/Liberal Alliance
A matter I am aware of was that when the Liberal Democrats formed central administration automatically joined anyone who had been a member of either the Liberal or SDP parties.

This caused quite a problem and the Lib Dems had to expel SC as the only was to terminate his membership. In 1990 he retained his F&GP seat as a SDP candidate but later joined the Lib Dems when Dr Owen wound up the SDP.

During these years Lib Dems also had 2 councillors in Gorsehill and 1 in Penhill.

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2008, 09:41:20 PM »
During these years Lib Dems also had ... 1 in Penhill.

where a fellow cllr was jim cordan, simon's dad (to bring this full circle!)

btw, you don't have a full set of '79 results, with names, as cannot get the names just the number of votes

No-Angel

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:38 PM »
1979.... sorry I was still at school then.... lol