Author Topic: PARKING PROBLEMS IN PENHILL  (Read 27734 times)

Offline buckhysen

• Kev's Keyrings
Re: PARKING PROBLEMS IN PENHILL
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2009, 05:42:50 PM »
Try as they might the car will not be legislated off the roads for a few years yet, it would be like the Elizabethans trying to ban the horse, and I am sorry but public transport does not fit the requirements for a chunk of the travel we do now, it's pricey as well unless you are travelling on Shrove Tuesday at 03:15 dressed as a Morris Dancer and have purchased an Intercontinental City Saver Student OAP Great Western Virgin photocard and are carrying a qualifying vole, and do not plan to return before the goat entrails indicate it would be favourable to do so. Engineering works permitting.

So, like it or not, the car rules, cater for it in as an environmentally friendly way as you can.

Haha :) I actually stopped driving about 4 years ago but started again 2 months ago because of the awful public transport we have in this country.
I was happy before to not have a car and walk most places and get taxi's, was a bit dear some nights but still saved me a lot of money over a year. But the big problem is that public transport is now as dear as running a car and if you travel out of Swindon, unless you are going to London, Reading, Bristol, etc then the trip is not worth making. i.e. It takes 4 1/2 hours on the coach to get to anywhere off the main roads to London (Newbury, Oxford, Milton Keynes, etc) because you have to go to London first. It's laughable in this day and age.
Trains are not much better, Newbury for example takes me 25 minutes in the car, takes well over an hour by train. Sometimes it's not practical or cost effective.

Plus taxi fares have gone through the roof in the last 12-16 months. 3 years ago a taxi from my house to Tenpin bowling was about £4.80, now it's over £8.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 01:28:25 AM »
Is there still parking problems in Penhill?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »
Is there still parking problems in Penhill?

Yes and in others areas too.
The problem in Penhill is that when the houses were built in the 1950's there weren't many households with cars and no need for driveways etc.

However as times have changed and families evolve, the kids grow up, women have become more independent and career minded, you will probably find households with more than one driver and more than one vehicle.

Unless every household with a car has a driveway, and unfortunately they don't, then there will always be parking problems and churned up grass verges /grassed areas.

There is no money in the pot for driveways and people on low incomes may not be able to afford to pay out to have a driveway and dropped kerb put in privately .

With not enough spaces - people tend to park on one side of the road which in turn isn't ideal for the emergency services trying to get through if vehicles are coming  the other way.

I think that as I said, unless every household with a vehicle has a driveway installed , then the situation will not get any better.

There are places where there are bits of green which are churned up by Vehicles parking on them that could be made into proper parking areas which would help to get the vehicles off the roads, but again it costs money and unless the purse holder for highways decides that they are going to release some dosh to plough into a 'parking project' then the situation will not change  :-\

I would have thought the inappropriate parking would come under road safety hazards would it not !
Is/was there not a little pot of something somewhere that is for road safety measures ?

Any missing 106 funds anywhere  :-\

No ............ oh well

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Drone

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 03:35:37 PM »
Have you ever seen these, Ms Chav?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3881713516/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3999244054/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3881753636/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3999217546/#

Making the entire local studies photos collection free to access through Flickr? Yet another reason I love our local library service!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 03:51:33 PM »
Have you ever seen these, Ms Chav?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3881713516/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3999244054/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3881753636/#

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swindonlocal/3999217546/#

Making the entire local studies photos collection free to access through Flickr? Yet another reason I love our local library service!

Thank you Ms Drone - this is fantastic !
I love looking at old photos and local History ;-)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2011, 05:09:23 PM »
Great isn't it, if ever I have an hour to spare it's onto Flickr.  All the Penhill collection will be up there sooner or later.

Ref parking, brings David Glaholm to mind.  Hope everyone will join me in wishing him and Flo Bon Voyage - well as far as Devon, where he is going in a couple of weeks, to retire.  :hippy:

He offered me his old toilet.  :o
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Yes good luck to David & Flo Glaholm.
Devon is a lovely place and tiny roads which means ............ heightened parking problems in the Tourist season.
(I'm sure David will sort them out !)
However, its a lovely place to retire to.

Good luck David  :wink:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2011, 07:18:58 PM »
He;s saying he has promised Flo no politics from now on.

Did I tell you he offered me his old toilet?  ::)
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2011, 07:45:45 PM »
He;s saying he has promised Flo no politics from now on.

Did I tell you he offered me his old toilet?  ::)

Yes ................ was it to use to plant your fuschias in as a feature for the garden !   >:D

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »
Penhill has always had a problem with people parking on grass verges.

But then so has every other area in Swindon, Dorcan and Liden worse.

Pop down to priory vale and see the idiots who park on the paths, so mums with toddlers have to walk in the road. :bash:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 09:04:24 AM »
Chav, "Yes ................ was it to use to plant your fuschias in as a feature for the garden !"

I hope that's why he offered it to me!  Mind you I could do with a downstairs loo.

Rich: Priory Vale was especially designed to be almost car less, (like one of those Dutch? (or was it Swedish?)towns, but added garages and then just forgot to tell everyone who bought houses there and forgot to make the roads wide enough to take two buses passing. 

Makes me laugh when I read that they are now designing other developements with 'lessons learned when designing Northern Development' that's exactly what they said to us when building it about 'lessons learned whilst building West Swindon'. Will it ever end?

Let's just hope that when they apply the lesson learned from building Northern development, they add that to the sum of lesson learned whilst building West Swindon and we might, just might get somewhere.

They can't learn much from the design of Penhill, they just never envisaged car ownership by the 'poor'.  Just as well we do buy cars though, who would buy all the second hand one's that are going - the economy would collapse without us lot up here!   :angel:

Offline Ringer

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47:25 PM »
Plenty of room for Chav's Humvee in Penhill >:D
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 06:23:29 PM »
David giving away his seat of learning? Well who would have thought it? Watch out you Devon Belles he is on his way and God help the local Parish Council! He will sort them out. They do say that where he is going the current Parish Council make the one on the Vicar of Dibly look slick.
Bobby

Offline Muggins

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:46 PM »
Do you get an allowance if you are a parish councillor?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2011, 08:56:17 PM »
Plenty of room for Chav's Humvee in Penhill >:D

The black beast may be soon going !
Although its a Hybrid it isn't that cost effective unless I drive round Penhill all day or in any other 20mph zone/area where the leckie mode kicks in !

I suppose it does kick in when at traffic lights etc, but when I am driving on roads that are 40mph or through school safety zones at 50mph or on rural roads which are 50mph - the black beast loves to drink the juice.

The road tax is around £255 for the year which I think is a bit on the heafty side for a hybrid, but then I suppose its a heafty Chav mobile with bling.

Re: Parking, I do have a double driveway so my car is off the road. However thanks to its nifty reverse camera sensors and footage of whats behind me on the dash - it does make reverse parking easier for me !  ;D

......... and no it does not park its self as it is not a Prius  :-X

I am not sure what will be next !!!!!!!!!!!
(Nothing too high Muggins)  :wink:

Offline Ringer

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2011, 09:39:18 PM »
Do you get an allowance if you are a parish councillor?

No I don't think you do.