Author Topic: Western Ward  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Western Ward
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »

Contested seat: Michael Barnes - Labour - The Mayor

Committee Appointments

* Council (Chair)

Other Councillors representing this ward:

* Councillor Des Moffatt Labour in office 04/05/2007 - 05/05/2011
    * Councillor Kevin Small In Office from 04/05/2006

James Patrick Grant

Labour

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:48:13 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Re: Western Ward
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »

Peter Heaton-Jones - Conservative

Short Biography:

Peter's home is in Sparcells, and he has lived and worked in Swindon since 2000.   For six years he presented the Breakfast and Morning programmes on BBC Radio Swindon.  He has recently worked for an MP, dealing with constituents' issues and enquiries.  He was selected as the Conservative candidate for Western at the beginning of this year. 

Information from the Swindon Evening Advertiser

Quote from: Swindon Evening Advertiser
A FORMER radio presenter has returned from down under to stand as a Conservative candidate in this year's local elections.

Peter Heaton-Jones, who lived in Sydney, Australia, for 15 months before returning to Swindon in December, made the announcement yesterday, 100 days before the poll on May 1.

The 44-year-old from Sparcells, who presented the Breakfast and Morning programmes on BBC Radio Swindon for six years, will stand in Western ward and fight for the seat currently held by Swindon Mayor Michael Barnes (Lab).

More information on this candidate can be found at http://www.westernintouch.com

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 08:14:20 PM by Dougal »
www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:05:09 PM »

Greg Heathcliffe

UKIP
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:48:49 PM by Dougal »

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 04:05:19 PM »

Clive James Hooper

Liberal Democrat
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:49:33 PM by Dougal »

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 04:05:27 PM »

Michael Morton

Independent
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:50:15 PM by Dougal »

Offline Peter Heaton-Jones

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 11:52:43 PM »
Thanks for the post.  I have a much more recent photo if you would like it?  The one here must be at least two years old, and is from my radio days.  I'm wearing my radio shades, see?  Also any other biog information?   Very happy to engage in any and all debate as the campaign continues.  PHJ.

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:16:15 PM »
Thanks for the post.  I have a much more recent photo if you would like it?  The one here must be at least two years old, and is from my radio days.  I'm wearing my radio shades, see?  Also any other biog information?   Very happy to engage in any and all debate as the campaign continues.  PHJ.

Received and post updated.  :)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »

I find myself wondering which is the real PeeAitchJay; the raffish rogue with shades or the slick magic raoundabout version.
We should be told.

Offline Terminatrix

• Underpaid & Overtaxed
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »

We could find out for ourselves if he's willing to do a TSTV video interview like Cllr Greeenhalgh is doing ?

Offline PAV

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:26 PM »
Hold on a minute. Not only has Mr Heaton-Jones got a picture of himself actually in Swindon (as opposed to a photographers studio), he has actually signed up here and offered to engage in debate.

Fair play to the guy.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »
Swindon?

I thought it was that roundabout just outside Cadiz, you know, the one with the tapas and tableside bullfighting.

All credit to the chap, what does he stand for by the way?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

No-Angel

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
My source says Peter Heaton-Jones won’t be fighting Michael Barnes for Western this year. Michael will be standing down and Western Labour Party have selected Jim Grant for what is considered a safe Labour seat.

[attachment deleted by admin - Older than 365 days]

Offline swindonlad

• Vote UK Discussion Forum
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 06:14:15 AM »
1st leaflet from Jim Grant, where he manageed to:

1 - not spell his name correctly
2 - cost the canal at £52

[attachment deleted by admin - Older than 365 days]

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2008, 11:39:19 AM »
Michael Barnes was a good Councillor and whilst I didn't agree with him politically he always did his best for the local area.  I am glad though that he had an opportunity to be Mayor in what now transpires to be his final year.

Offline Justin Tomlinson

• Abbey Meads Conservatives
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2008, 12:38:50 PM »
I bet Jim is gutted he spelt his own name wrong?!!  ;)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2008, 07:51:03 PM »
There is something very sinister afoot.

The policticians have all morphed into the same egghead

PeeAitchJay, Jaytee and Jim Gant all look the same from the eyes up.
Bring back TossingCurls I say.
Oh... she's moved out to the 'burbs... hey ho

Offline nordic

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2008, 02:57:31 PM »
If he is as accurate as his leaflet lends us to believe then Mr Gant should be immediately put incharge of his £52 canal the benefit of such a move would be enormous.

Or is it that his maths are not quite up to it.  You have to feel sorry for these people or just laugh.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2008, 06:24:50 PM »
Jim only spelt his name wrong because he has only been recently assigned it. His real name is Tristram, but party felt this might not connect with the electorate. MIJ GRUANT, there you go, that will connect with the East European vote.

I support spending £52 on the canal, that is precisely what it is worth, but please lets call it a puddle to be accurate.

The tories spent £34K on water but nu nu labur did not drink any, or indeed inhale. More's the pity.

The tories voted themselves 54% increases, and nu nu labur gratefully accepted them, or can we expect a refund soon?

Northern relief road? Who cares, Swindon relief road, now you are talking. I am also wondering if he means rats in the literal sense.

Review of the waste collection system, specifically plastic bottles, now that's what I call focus. Summer is approaching, AWC remains in place and he want's to talk about plastic bottles. Just like gordnon the scotch troll concentrate, doing his best work on the periphery cos the middles too tricky and the words are too long.

In the most monitored society on planet earth he wants more CCTV to 'help' the police. What would make the streets safer would be real policemen cracking real heads with real batons. We don't want to watch real crime, we want to stop it. Cracked heads do that.

Apart from that he appears to be real polician material, shame, so do the other candidates.

Vote for Busta the Monkeyworld chimp I reckon.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.