Author Topic: Shaw and Nine Elms  (Read 5705 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Shaw and Nine Elms
« on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:41 PM »

Contested seat: Nick Martin - Conservative - Cabinet Member for Resources

Responsibilities

* Cabinet Member for Resources

Committee Appointments

* Appointments Committee
    * Cabinet
    * Council
    * Leisure Working Party
    * Special Committee (Deputy)
    * Wichelstowe Project Board
    * Wiltshire and Swindon Fire Authority

Terms of Office

* 05/05/1983 - 03/05/1995
    * 07/05/1998 - 09/06/2004
    * 10/06/2004 - 01/05/2008

Appointments to Outside Bodies

* Local Government Association (Deputy)
    * Local Government Association - South West Branch (Deputy)
    * Lydiard House Conference Centre
    * Plas Pencelli Management Committee
    * South West Provincial Employers National Joint Council (Deputy)
    * Wiltshire Pension Fund

Other Councillors representing this ward:

* Councillor Garry Perkins Conservative -  In Office from 04/05/2007 - 05/05/2011
    * Councillor Keith Williams Conservative -  In Office from 04/05/2006

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 05:51:49 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Re: Shaw and Nine Elms
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:08:19 PM »

James Farr

Liberal Democrat
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:28:41 PM by Dougal »
www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:08:30 PM »

Mohammad Ali Talukdar

Labour
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:29:50 PM by Dougal »

Dick Norman

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:00:43 PM »
 :fence1:

Is there any truth in the rumour that Nick Martin is in competition with Mike Bawden as to who can muster the largest majority?

Meanwhile in Parks poor old Claire Ellis waits for some help to take the seat for the Conservatives, if she does not get in I know who to blame!!!    :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 11:47:58 PM »
Hey ho.

Since I was 18 I have believed in my democratic right to vote. I haven't missed the chance to vote in a local government or general election for thirty years.

Until last year's local elections, when I couldn't bring myself to vote for Garry "Let's Close Lots Of Perfectly Good Schools In West Swindon" Perkins. I didn't want to vote for any of the other parties as I think Rod is doing a pretty good job.

I find myself in a similar situation this year. I can't vote for Nick "I Will Do Whatever I Want With Swindon Because I Have My Paws On The Purse Strings" Martin. As in the selling off of Lower Shaw Farm, football pitches on Shaw Forest, general arrogance.

I think I realised the reality of how buggered this country had become when I stood as an independent at the last general election. All I found was a disconnected and disillusioned electorate who thought that whoever they voted for wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. The sad thing is that now I agree with them and I have become one of the people who I used to despise for not voting.

Come the next GE I won't vote either. As I also learnt, people vote for the party leaders and not the local prospective MPs. In either case, I can't stomach Brown, Cameron, Snelgrove or Buckland.

It's all rather shit.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe

Dick Norman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »
 :spin:

He Alan that was a bit heavy duty!  It is absolutely imperative that you maintain your vote even if you were to vote for the opposition as a protest.

Nicholas is many things and he and I have had many lively conversations with him over the years but his heart is in the right place and more important than anything he is the only man on the council capable of doing the financial portfolio.  That opinion may be frightening to some but I believe it to be the case.

Anyway with his gold plated majority he would probably be the last Tory on the Council if the Conservatives went into free fall, so please do be afraid or refrain from casting your vote.

Now as for your allegation about the Football Stadium on Shaw Forest whilst it may have been seen as politically expedient I do believe that Nick led the Public protest against this development which I might add was in my perception being actively pursued by his colleagues.  It may have made a bit of a mess in the road but he was prepared to lay down in front of the bulldozers so I think your statement on this particular point to be unfair and untrue.

Meanwhile, I think you speak for the majority of us the political class of this country are leading or just going by default down the road to nowhere.  The Tories control Swindon politically and that will not change at this election and thereby not for the next two years.  They have a golden opportunity to really do great things for Swindon with a radical range of policies which will benefit the people of Swindon as a whole.  The question is do they have the will, the forsight, the imagination or the plain common sense to actually go and achieve it?

So pleas vote Alan and I look forward to seeing you in the polling station on May 1st.

Offline PAV

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
Can someone show me where, on a map, Shaw Forest is please.

Offline nordic

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »
Hi Pav,

I dont have a map handy, but it is on the other side of the road from The Chinese Experience.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
Aerial view here:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=51.573776~-1.826735&style=a&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=4343042&encType=1
http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 12:52:58 AM »
Now as for your allegation about the Football Stadium on Shaw Forest whilst it may have been seen as politically expedient I do believe that Nick led the Public protest against this development which I might add was in my perception being actively pursued by his colleagues.  It may have made a bit of a mess in the road but he was prepared to lay down in front of the bulldozers so I think your statement on this particular point to be unfair and untrue.

Nooo no no no nooooo.

I think you misunderstood me dear Mr Norman.

The Forest Not Stadium campaign was one thing. Indeed, Cllr Martin was well prepared to do an Arthur Dent and shrug off West Swindon's equivalent of the Hyperspace Bypass.

I'm talking about dear Nick's post-STFC "vision" for childrens' football pitches on the forest. He has a mental image that the forest that he helped to create (indisputably) and waged a "Mike Bawden Is A Wanker" campaign against should host junior matches.

Well hey-ho...some of us who fought that nasty battle didn't agree with him. We felt that was against what we were saying. Shaw Forest is exactly that. Not a wild flower and wild life site to be moulded and manipulated and injected with "community friendly" facilities. Gawd forbid if a cafe or public loos should ever be installed. The deer would be mortified.

Hence my severe dislike of the man. And doubly since the Shaw Farm debacle. He is an arrogant pompous git and I really wish there was somebody else of West Swindon (small c) conservatism to vote for.

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:07:08 AM »
Hey ho.

Since I was 18 I have believed in my democratic right to vote.

Hey ho Alan.
Yes. Ditto

I think I realised the reality of how buggered this country had become when I stood as an independent at the last general election. All I found was a disconnected and disillusioned electorate who thought that whoever they voted for wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. The sad thing is that now I agree with them and I have become one of the people who I used to despise for not voting.

Hey ho Alan.
Here we differ.
Firstly in that I don't have the mettle to do as you did and stand for election.
Well done you.
Second.... maybe this isn't second as it's likely not a differnece between us. I cannot think that you were surprised by voter apathy. You knew it existed I would guess - rather taken aback at the size of it?
Third... here's a difference. I always vote. Better if I admire and respect the candidate. But Hey ho ( again), if I don't better surely to winnow out the least awful and pin my vote on a tangible issue, such as fair levy of the cost of neighbourhood wardens, protection of green spaces... whatever... If one scrunches up one's eyes and suspends breathing for 90 seconds one can see past people like Garree Perkins ( although I agree, this is a big challenge). You said that Rod Blew is OK... well he can only be OK with our system if he operates a majority, Perkins et al come with it.

I cannot accept that relinquishing one's vote is anything other than wrong, although with this lure

pleas vote Alan and I look forward to seeing you in the polling station on May 1st.

I can quite see why you'd avoid any polling station.

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 12:31:21 AM »
I cannot accept that relinquishing one's vote is anything other than wrong, although with this lure

pleas vote Alan and I look forward to seeing you in the polling station on May 1st.

I can quite see why you'd avoid any polling station.

I've changed my mind.

I will be going along to jolly old (not included in the West Swindon School closure plans or debate) Peatmoor School after all.

I'm going to spoil my ballot paper instead.