Author Topic: Holocaust Memorial Day Sun 270108 12 Noon at the Cenotaph, Regent Circus  (Read 2672 times)

Offline abdullahazzam

Holocaust Memorial Day

The Cenotaph, Regent Circus, Swindon

Sunday 27th January 2008

12.00 Noon Wreath laying ceremony at the Cenotaph, Regent Circus

12.30pm Friends Meeting House, Eastcott Hill, Swindon

A time for contemplation with words and quiet time together. Speakers from different faith groups and community groups in Swindon and individuals. Everyone welcome.

Holocaust Memorial Day is marked throughout Europe. The aim of the day is to remember and reflect on human rights tragedies, and the many occasions of persecution, war and genocide, past and present, and to heighten awareness among all people, young and old.

Imagine... remember... reflect... react.

Amnesty International Reprieve UK [url=http://www.worldcoa

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Holocaust Memorial Day Sun 270108 12 Noon at the Cenotaph, Regent Circus
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »
There's a regular poster on TS who ought to attend this...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
There are probably more than a few people who should attend this. But then, maybe most of us should be thinking about attending, or at least finding out what it is.

Offline hlt

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 04:54:39 PM »
i must say that the 27th being on a sunday we hopefully will get a few more people on that day. i have been to all the holocaust days in swindon so far.and i must pay tribute to the quakers who after the cenotaph help put on a very emotianal and spritual time for the people  who go there and also say that rod bluh in his speech is very moving to all     

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:48:25 PM »
I think that this is a very important event and I would really like to make some record of it. I would ideally like to take photographs and maybe some short video, and possibly send something either to this site after the event, or possibly to the Swindon Advertiser. What are your feelings on something like this? Do you think it would be too intrusive, or do you feel that the press will themselves be there to record this event? Are there anyone I need to approach for permission if I do decide to do this?

Offline hlt

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 12:56:17 PM »
hi matt holland at west swindon farm organies this event and has done for some years i think that this would be a bit intrusive to video etc there is a adver photographer there most years .just hope that the mayors car is not clamped  this year ,i do not know if they work on a sunday

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 03:28:42 PM »
I think I will hold on the video this time. At least there is a chance that the Advertiser will be there.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 05:21:33 PM »

I don't know that I agree with Helens point on videoing the memorial as being too intrusive, it is afterall a public commemoration in a public place. It's quite possible to film events yet manage to be respectful and discrete whilst doing so.

I expect I'm not alone in not being able to make it to the cenotaph on Sunday, but I'd very much like to experience it via somebody that can. Newspapers are all very well, (I get the adver everyday), but they lack ambience and emotional temperature. 

Abdullahazzam, I'll PM you Matt Hollands email address in the hope that you will get his opinion before dismissing the idea completely.

Talkswindon admin will be pleased to host the video for you if you do film, and even edit your footage if you don't already do this yourself  :)

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 05:43:05 PM »
Besides the Advertiser Swindonweb increasingly video various news events around Swindon

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 07:10:57 PM »

Swindonweb stuff is also really good quality video....but, (there's always a but), we're still waiting for them to publish their footage from the Wills/Snelgrove 'Referendum-Refusal' meeting of the 11th of January.

SW didn't video the entire meeting, (I'm guessing they arrived at the time requested by the organisers of the meeting), but were there at the end to do some interviews with Annie, Mickey, Bobby, Bobby and the boy Tomlinson.

God bless new media in all it's budgetless glory. I reckon more people will turn to it to get the unfiltered feeling of what's going on around them, and the more that turn to it will lead to more people producing it.  O0

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »
My new phone has got a camera.

Apparently.

Anyway oop, you have to stop using all this new media, our MP's, poor lambs, can't cope with the exposure and will have to push their allowances well one a quarter mill just to cope, well, when I say cope I mean keep us buggers at arms length.

Holocaust, film it, spread it, memorise it. My boy, apparently doing well at secondary school, has no idea what it is, he would probably hazard a guess at it being a Playstation game.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 08:16:13 PM »
Thanks for the email, Geoff. I'll wait and see what Matt has to say on this idea, but I'd still like to try it, if possible - carefully, of course.

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 08:00:22 PM »
I received the following message from Matt Holland yesterday:

"Many thanks for your message and interest in the Holocaust Memorial Day in Swindon on Sunday 27th January.

And thank you for directing me to the talkswindon forum where I found the discussion both interesting and duly senitive to the subject.

As regards filming the ceremony or event, which, by the way, only last about 10 or 15 minutes by the Cenotaph, my response, which you are welcome to pass on to others on talkswindon, is this.

The main duty and respect on this occasion should be shown to the people who are there, at the Cenotaph in the flesh, or possibly in the wind and rain, the people who have managed or been able to arrange their lives to make time to attend. (This is not in any way saying anything against those who have not been able to get there.) Anything, be it filming, photographing, interviewing, or whatever, that detracts from their live experience of what's taking place and how they are experiencing it together, is not encouraged.

However, this is a public event, in a public place, and nowadays, any such occasion, especially if attended by dignitaries, is photographed and filmed both by the press and other media as well as by private individuals. It is likely that the Adver and maybe others will be there. This is modern life, and spreading pictures and words does have benefits. For example, if there is something from this short ceremony that people who were unable to attend find of real interest, then it is good that they can see it.

My answer, in short, is this. Yes, discrete and sensitive filming outside at the Cenotaph at 12 noon should be fine but not inside at 12.30 at the Friends Meeting House, which is an altogether more intimate occasion.

One thing more, in answering your questions in this fashion, I do not want you or anyone else to think that this is an unduly solemn occasion. Serious and reflective it certainly is but there is also much warmth and many smiles of friendship.

Greetings.

Matt Holland"

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
Good message from Mr Holland.

I am not sure that I will be able to get to the town centre on Sunday and would be very glad to watch a record of the proceedings.

I am particulary pleased that the Swindon reflections include all those that have suffered from at the hands of the Human Rights abusers, past and present.

Offline David Glaholm

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »
I very much regret not being able to attend but I am at work(on shifts)
David Glaholm......

Offline abdullahazzam

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »
Unfortunately, I was working the night before and so found it hard to make it to the Memorial, made even harder by the fact that I had incorrectly set my alarm for PM rather than AM. Duh! I still managed to make it to the very end, and saw the Mayor of Swindon, Tony Hiller and a gathering of other people, most of whom I did not recognise. I did not take any photos or video of the people there, as I had arrived late and did not feel certain about whether I should. I did, however, take several photographs later on of the Memorial and of the wreaths that were left there, of which there were one or two. I also took some photos of the display mounted by the Central Library prior to the event.

]