Author Topic: Residents to be allowed to park in car parks overnight  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Residents to be allowed to park in car parks overnight
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:57:59 PM »
More parking for town centre

PARKING headaches for people living in, or close to, Swindon town centre could be solved from Monday.

Under an innovative scheme cooked up by Swindon Council and the Residents' Parking Advisory Group drivers with parking permits will be able to park for free overnight in specified car parks.

It is thought 6,000 people in Swindon's central, Eastcott and Old Town wards have parking permits.

And under the scheme they will be able to park in at least two car parks from 10pm until 8am the next day, for free - until now residents have had to pay.

Councillor Peter Greenhalgh, cabinet member for highways, transport and planning on Swindon Council, said: "This scheme shows that we have listened to people's views and are taking positive action to improve parking provision for permit holders.

"The Residents' Parking Advisory Group is looking at possible measures to alleviate the problem and allowing permit holders to use certain car parks overnight free of charge is an example of the progress we are making."

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonnewsheadlines/display.var.1818384.0.more_parking_for_town_centre.php

This is good news, though it doesn't say which car parks and, as the big one behind commercial road is due to be moved underground under plans for the re-development of the town centre, I'm not sure how many people will actually benefit from this as a practical solution.

Dick Norman

Re: Residents to be allowed to park in car parks overnight
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
 :crazy2:

Hey everyone, nobody has considered the safety implications of a single Lady having to walk to or from home on her own from any of the public car parks during darkness.

How about allowing people who have parking permits permission to park in public car parks foc at any time, after all they pay for it anyway?

oops I am sorry this is still all about revenue anyway or is it for once?

:crazy2:

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 05:15:33 PM »
Yes I must confess I am a bit nervous about walking home in the dark alone- but even more nervous about getting a ticket after 6 pm and before 10pm- this addresses part of the problem but not all of it by any means.

So what do we do- keep driving round till 10 pm ( by which time it WILL be more dangerous to walk home alone)?

Not an environmentally friendly option.

PLEASE can this be extended to ANYTIME? I need my sleep! :(

Offline Alligator

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 06:19:57 PM »
I think this is a difficult one for the council.

This is definately a step forward, but I seem to recall that whenever it was discussed on this forum or at the public meetings, it was recognised that it was only of benefit to those people that live within a short distance of a car park.  Where I used to live, this would have been no help to me personally as I lived so far from any car parks. For me it was a convenience/laziness issue, but the safety issue is another one to be considered for people who feel vunerable.

One potential benefit for people that do feel concerned about safety is that it may have a knock on effect for you in that their neighbours and people in neighbouring streets may use the car parks and thereby decrease pressure on the spaces near your home.

As for the timing, I think it could start earlier in the day, but I guess the council has to ensure parking is available for all who want to come to the town centre, so I don't see an easy answer there.

Another  common complaint has been that people coming home at around 10 pm to find no spaces have little choice but to park on double yellows and then find a ticket on their car at 6.30 am the following day.  These people will probably feel the benefit of this change more than anyone.

Having said all this, we need to know which car parks will be included here, until we know this and how many spaces are available and also how safe the car parks will be, that we will be able to see what impact this will have.

All in all, I think this was an action that the residents requested and we should welcome it as a positive step from SBC.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
I agree with that comment Ali
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 06:36:19 PM »
Way back in the dawn of time, when the lickle leaflet plopped through my previous letterbox, and I commenced my lengthy and ultimately unsatisfactory correspondence with sbc vis a vis their parking solution one of the subjects that caught my eye was parking in town carparks.

I did ramble at length about the cost, and some transient herbert from sbc earnestly defended the cost, and do you know, I think he believed himself.

The next little flaw I suggested might exist in the plan was the trooping back from town in the dark, cos you could only park in what were, generally, the hours of darkness. I think I got pointed back to the reasonable cost and what a good deal it was burble burble etc

Given the hordes of policemen now released from clerical bondage by our MP the problem of getting assaulted by feckless little shits has surely gone away, and the safety of your motor is absolutely guaranteed. So it is the window of opportunity that remains as the sticking point.

(This is of course discounting the feckless little shit that climbed over a neighbour's fence to nick a bike, hordes of non clerical grade constables were strangely absent, as they were during the graffitti binge, luckily a retired neighbour saw them off)

I would say that sbc has recognised that the principle of allowing residents, with permits, to use empty car parks during specific time slots is fair and reasonable, that is good though a mite tardy, what now needs to be addressed is the time slot. Logic says to me that the car parks start emptying at 17:00ish because people are finishing work. Residents are people and go to work, so it follows that they will be returning from work at the same time. There is a solution lurking in there isn't there?

Come to that I think it is so reasonable I would probably pay £50ish for the privilege.

What about weekend periods by the way?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 03:31:46 PM »
Update on this, with detail of which carparks will be available to each residents of each RP zone.

End in sight for parking misery
By Matthew Pardo
Comment | Read Comments (1)

A new scheme aims to take the pressure off those precious parking places 
A PARKING lifeline has been thrown to residents who struggle to find a space at night.

There are 6,000 parking permit holders in central Swindon and Old Town but nowhere near that number of spaces outside homes.

So from Monday Swindon Council will let permit holders leave vehicles in certain car parks for free between 10pm and 8am.

"This is a good idea that will make a difference," said councillor Peter Greenhalgh, Swindon Council cabinet member for highways, transport and strategic planning.

"It isn't perfect but we really have to do what we can to help residents and allow the commercial activities in the town at night to continue.

"Since taking this job parking has been top of the agenda and I understand the frustrations that people living in these areas have.

"This is a genuine attempt to try and help everyone who struggles with parking.

"We don't believe any other council does this."

In October last year the Residents' Advisory Parking Group, which has pushed the parking scheme forward, surveyed residents in the centre of town on what would help ease their parking headaches.

And one of the ideas to come out of the group's public consultation was free overnight parking in council car parks.

Now it is on the verge of being introduced Coun Fionuala Foley (Con, Old Town & Lawn), deputy leader of Swindon Council, said she thought the scheme would work.

"The houses in our part of town were built 100 years ago and we all know they just don't have the parking spaces residents need," she said.

"But we can't just magic up spaces.

"So this will help immensely.

"Hopefully people will see that we as a council are listening to what they are saying and that there is a good take up of this scheme.

"Some people may say 10pm is a bit late as a starting time.

"But in doing this we need to look at Swindon's night time economy.

"Old Town is a vibrant place. We had to make sure that continues and make sure that those wanting to use the car parks in Old Town can do so."

Coun Greenhalgh added: "The next thing we're looking at is removing some of the yellow lines - but that takes time and we knew that making the most of empty car parks now would help."

Overnight stays

UNDER the new rules people living in each area with parking permits can only park for free in the car parks allocated to their zone.They are:

Town Centre: Granville Street, King Street, Queens Street, Catherine Street, Commercial Road

Zone A: Granville Street, Commercial Road, The College

Zone B: Harding Street, Cheltenham Street

Zone C: Granville Street, Commercial Road

Zone D: The College, Granville Street, Bath Road, Prospect Place

Zone E: The College, Prospect Place, Bath Road

Zone F: Commercial Road, Granville Street,

Zone G: The College, Princes Street, Prospect Place, Clarence House, Britannia Place

Zone H: The College, Princes Street, Clarence House

Zone J: County Ground, Queenstown

Zone K: Commercial Road, Granville Street

Zone L: Prospect Place, Britannia Place

Zone N: Prospect Place, Britannia Place

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 03:41:10 PM »
... and who originally suggested this idea nealry a year ago? <modest cough> ??
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alligator

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:49:09 PM »
... and who originally suggested this idea nealry a year ago? <modest cough> ??

I think you and many other residents will try and claim that one.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 08:23:54 PM »
Oooh! Me me!

I reckon it is such a simple partial solution the question has to be what happened in the last 18 months to change their minds? I wonder how far they are really prepared to go, another 2 / 3 hours would be pretty good, or perhaps gentle incremental increases.

Like council tax bills.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline mjuk67

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
It appears they've not updated their website to reflect this new reality - if this indeed has come into effect!?

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/roadstransport/parking/residentsparking.htm

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 04:40:46 PM »

Hahahaa... ;D

It appears they've not updated their website to reflect this new reality - if this indeed has come into effect!?

Well spotted!.

Sadly the SBC website, (which we obviously pay for), spends long periods of being inaccurate on a broad spectrum of topics which seem to take a fair while to be updated.  In fairness this is probably down to delays in SBC passing information to the webmaster(s).

I suspect that positive press releases to the media are prioritised as being politically more urgent than ensuring the dissemination of correct data through their own web portal.  I'm sure they will catch up eventually, but only after the media has been milked a bit more.

God forbid that any political body would ever forego a brownie point opportunity by allowing the media to see information on the internet before it's issued a press release!  ;D