Author Topic: Wormeries  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Lynda

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Wormeries
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:02:31 PM »
Can't be doing with slugs - making them comfy in my compost heap is a step too far I say.
Wormeries though... since Alligator mentioned them I have been intrigued.
This is one of many sites that offer them as well as regular garden worms that you can bung into your compost heap  ( well, there you go - worms with different jobs )

http://www.greengardener.co.uk/wormeries.htm

I still think that SBC could step up to the green line and offer wormeries to residents. Wormy people could pay for their wormery with wormery juice.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:00:26 AM by Simon »

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: About this forum
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 04:08:55 PM »

I know I will regret asking....but, what is 'wormery juice' ? 

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 05:31:22 PM »
wormeries work in a similar way to composts, although you set them up in a serie of layers, essentially creating a 'home' fit for the worms and then you feed them your wase foods.  The worms get to work and eventually leave a pool of liquid (wormery juice) at the bottom which can be drained off and diluted as a plant food (very organic)......Not exactly an appetising thought, but very organic all the same.  Then every now and agani you take out the compost matter and use it as you would with the matter left over from a normal compost.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:34:24 PM »
I got mine from here, Mine's the smaller green cloured one, very unobtrusive, though the worms don't do much in the cold winter months so an outhouse may be a better location for storage in winter.

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/

Offline Lynda

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 06:06:35 PM »
Do the worms hibernate or just go slow?
How does a worm know it's time to do either in a warm home, aren't they dwellers of shady places ( must be if they habg around in a wormery)
Do you have to replenish them or do they make wormlets?
Do you actually see the little critters or can you pretend that you don't have a bin full of worms in your kitchen?

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 06:17:11 PM »
In the right conditions they will reproduce (apparently) I think the temperature is all relative, i.e. in summer I imagine they get very hot and the worms get very busy, in winter it may be colder in the wormery, but nothng that worms aren't used to. 

The wormery instructions state that they will adapt to both temperature and the amount of food being supplied.  Essentially I found this to mean that in winter you physically can't put as much food in as they take longer to process it and food doesn't decompose as quickly anyway, however natural decompostion still takes place.  In summer I expect the whole process to be much faster.

Offline johndoyle

• Bhi me Beidh me
    • 1st Westlea Scout Group
Re: Wormeries
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 03:43:41 PM »
apparently composting will help reduce identity theft...

"Composting confidential documents and bank statements is, apparently, one of the most effective ways of making sure no one else - bar the slugs - gets their hands on them. "

dunno about the slug bit but the full article is online at :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4753331.stm
A mind is like a parachute - it works best when open. http://www.savecoate.org.uk/