Author Topic: Partial closure of Mannington underpass  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Partial closure of Mannington underpass
« on: August 18, 2007, 02:41:44 PM »
Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

This is the subway going under Great Western Way, next to the Mannington roundabout, part of the main cycle route into town for West Swindonites like me.

View from the W Swindon end:

Inside the subway:

View from the town centre end:

As you can see, half of it is blocked off by big fences, as if there is some kind of building work going on there. It's been like that since Tuesday or Wednesday.

But look a bit closer, and there's no sign of any work being done (except for the addition of a couple of "cyclists dismount" signs a couple of days after the fences went up).

Now if something was actually happening there, for example the graffiti was being removed, or the wall was being repainted, or there was a hole being dug in the path, then I'd understand.

But nothing seems to he happening.

Nothing.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Woodchopper

Re: Partial closure of Mannington underpass
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
 :bash:

Ask your Councillors, good luck on getting a response!!

Please let us know how you get on!!

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 06:07:57 PM »
:bash:

Ask your Councillors, good luck on getting a response!!

Please let us know how you get on!!

Not sure there's any point asking my councillors as I'm pretty sure this subway isn't part of F&GP. In fact I'm not sure what ward it's part of.

But even if I did know, would the cllrs for that ward be the best people to ask about it? Is it the council that put the fences up, or some utilities company or other body?

I thought maybe if I posed the question to a wider audience here on TS, it might reach someone who does know what's happening there.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Woodchopper

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 06:37:50 PM »
 ::)

I am sure Councillor Mick Bray would find out if you asked him, otherwise I would ask Toothill and Westlea Councillors as the WS end is theirs?

Offline Keith

• Cllr. for Shaw and Nine Elms
    • West Swindon In Touch
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
The work is part of three bridge/underpass refurbishments being undertaken over a 10 week period from the 30th of July. The other two are Barnfield Footbridge over the River Ray (repairs to failed bridge parapets and bridge foundations), and Walton Park subway under Whitehill Way by Fitness First (repairs to lighting and walls due to vandals lighting a car in the subway itself a few months ago).

The Mannington underpass repairs are to remove the wall coatings and replace them due to the amount of graffiti, along with some railing repairs that are scheduled to take two weeks. The subway will remain open throughout however as any cyclists not wanting to cross Mannington would have quite a detour otherwise.

Hope that answers your question!

P.S. Woodchopper - The graffiti you e-mailed me about at Shaw Ridge was logged with Commercial Services on Friday morning

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 12:17:04 AM »
Thanks for the update Keith. I knew TS would be a good place to ask this question!  O0

I'm still wondering, however, why hasn't work started on removing and replacing the wall coating on that underpass? Is it really necessary for the fences to go up so many days before the work actually starts?

When will the work start, and when will it be finished?

And how many days after the work is finished will the fences come down, so that I can once again cycle through that underpass without having to pour my usual scorn on "cyclists dismount" signs, and/or having to slow down to an almost complete stop, in order to respect the pedestrian users of the underpass, before putting lots of effort into cycling up out the other side?

Is there something dysfunctional about the relationship between the people who replace the wall coating, and the people who put up the fences so that the people who replace the wall coating can do so without fear of getting run over by cyclists, who are more concerned with preserving their momentum so that they can get up and out the other side without too much effort? Do they really need the fences there so many days in advance?

I know I'm asking some awkward questions here, and I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone (especially not cllr Keith, who was kind enough to add some information to this thread), but I feel the need to highlight the fact that those fences are inconveniencing people cycling between W Swindon and the Central / Old Town area, and while there's no work going on which necessitates their presence, those people (including me) are going to get annoyed about it.

Anyone who can shed any light on these questions, please post away...

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:18:32 AM »
Thanks Keith.

The glass-in-the-playpark I mailed you about was cleaned up quite quickly I understand.

Well done.

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 08:37:50 AM »
Looks like work started on the Mannington subway yesterday.

Dick Norman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 10:13:32 AM »
 O0 O0

Here come the Mick Brays

Anyway you are to be congratulated on your hard work Keith.  I hope that you receive support from your fellow S & NE Councillors.  Mannington isn't even your patch but we readers appreciate your involvement and your leadership by example.

Is there any hope the Western Ward members may follow suit?  or are they examples of members who sit in Council and leave it at that?

Your efforts are much appreciated, well done.

O0 O0 two more for your efforts

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 10:37:44 PM »
O0 O0

Here come the Mick Brays

How many of him are there?  ;D

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 06:56:41 PM »
Now that the work has started, it looks like there's good progress being made - one wall is stripped of graffiti and the fences have been shifted to the other side.  O0