Author Topic: Zone J  (Read 3785 times)

Peach

Zone J
« on: August 17, 2007, 08:10:21 AM »
Anyone planning to renew their Zone J permit in August?  I'd seriously consider waiting, same goes for visitors permits'.  Having complained, begged, screamed for someone to come and ticket the car without a permit outside my house (that's been parked there for what will soon be three weeks), I was finally told that resident's parking has been suspended in my area.  Until the hours are changed from 6pm till 10pm and the signs updated, the tickets are not legally enforceable so the whole area isn't being patrolled!!

Why didn't someone tell me? I've wasted 3 visitors permits in the last week and stupidly renewed a worthless permit!

I have received a response back from the Parking Attendants advising that the reason why this vehicle has not received a Penalty Charge Notice is because there has been a suspension of the Traffic Regulation Order in Zone J, due to a change in operational times. This prevents enforcement as we would not legally be covered.

Unfortunately until the suspension has been lifted we will be unable to assist you further.

karen leakey

Re: Zone J
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 09:45:25 AM »
Last year the Broad Street Area Community Council had request's from many resident's to see if the times could be extended in Zone J until 8pm.  Alot of residents who had permits were coming home from work around 6pm,
and could not park in their street - due to the fact people without permits had got there first.

Broad Street Area Community Council (BSACC) had a meeting with Peter Greenhalgh after the Council elections May 2006 to see if hours could be extended, it was suggested the time be extended until 10pm to bring it in line with other resident parking zones in the Borough.  This went out to consultation and a decision was made this May that the J Zone would be extended to 10pm.

On the 17th May 2007 John Needle (Residents Parking Technician SBC), was checking the final quantities for signage  and the next day would be putting in an order with Swindon Services - who need 6-8 weeks to manufacturer and install the signs. John Needle stated that a plan also needed to be finalised with the enforcement department,  "like warning the drivers for a couple of weeks after the signs go up that the times of operation have changed before issuing tickets, would be the sort of solution I would suggest to them.  Residents also need to be informed of the change". 

BSACC assumed that the signs would be installed early to mid July.  On 17th July BSACC contacted Norman Stewart
(who is the Principal Engineer in the Civil and Structural Engineering Unit at SBC),  as no signs had been installed,  this time it had been delayed because they were waiting for confirmation of funding - that was confirmed and an order was to be placed with commercial services.  On 30th July John Needle said he had just got back from holiday and  he had received confirmation that the finances were in place and he could proceed to order the signs :bash:
This will then take a further 6-8 weeks to manufacturer and install.  Now Zone J is looking towards the end of September :knuppel2:

Mr Needle also said no exact date has been finalised - and it will still need to be linked to a 'publicity' drive to inform residents of the change.  Mr Needle left SBC at the end of that week :'(

I have been in contact with SBC parking department through the BSACC and the Broadgreen Neighbourhood Tasking Group - never once have we been informed by them that there is a suspension of the Traffic Regulation Order in Zone J. 

Peach:
I will be pursuing this up as it is unacceptable :fence1:

Peach

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 12:47:16 PM »
So it seems that Zone J has been suspended for at least 3 months with at least another month to run.  I don't see why I'm not entitled to a 25% refund.

This latest response has made by blood boil:

Unfortunately we will not issue a refund or an extension as the residents bays in J Zone suspension is for the benefit of the residents in extending the restriction times for them.  We are taking action in the interim by issuing warning notices to vehicles contravening the suspended order and we can advise the end date on this suspension should be imminent. 

Issuing warning notices!! No they aren't, my original complaint is that at least one permitless vehicle is a permanent feature in my street.  No sign of wardens, or warning notices even when I complain over and over and over.

The cost of the resident permit is small and is not to pay for a space;  we do not guarantee parking at the home end of a journey.  It pays for the enforcement of the scheme which requires Parking Attendants, all of whom are still employed whether J residential zone is operational or not.  The Parking Attendants are still there to enforce the DYLs etc for the safety of the residents and therefore are still getting a service from us during this time.

The costs of resident permit is small? Not anymore it isn't.  I thought the increases were justified by deterring people from getting a second and third car? i.e. Make them more expensive to reduce demand.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 01:58:27 PM »
The cost of the resident permit is small and is not to pay for a space;  we do not guarantee parking at the home end of a journey.  It pays for the enforcement of the scheme which requires Parking Attendants, all of whom are still employed whether J residential zone is operational or not.  The Parking Attendants are still there to enforce the DYLs etc for the safety of the residents and therefore are still getting a service from us during this time.

What a load of bollocks!  Does this mean that the residents do actually pay for the enforcement of double yellow lines through their residents permits?  I thought this was a seperate activity and the RP zones were designed to cover the parking bays only.  If this numpty is correct I'd be interested to know why residents parking permits are subsidising this.

I'd go back to this numpty jobsworth and and set them straight.  Of course they can give refunds, the only thing that stops them is their own bloody minded jobsworth attitudes.   :censored:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 07:17:38 PM »
Ask them when they last patrolled Zone J and at what times.

Ask them what fixed penalty notices have been issued in Zone J and the specific locations.

I suspect the lazy scrotes have not been bothering since you passed into parking limbo.

The grown up and expected response would have been:

'Your information is accurate, we have ticketed the offending vehicle, thank you for your assistance'

But the mindset is that you are an interfering busybody that has embarassed them in their indolence, they will expend a sack of manhours before admitting error.

If I had the expertise and time I would love to trawl their expenditure and see how much is spent on denial, backtracking and recitation of obscure regulations that have all to do with arse covering and nothing to do with public interest, then compare that to how much is spent on delivering an actual service.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.