Author Topic: Vision for Swindon 2030 consultation events  (Read 1222 times)

Offline Vision2030

Vision for Swindon 2030 consultation events
« on: August 13, 2007, 12:31:54 PM »
There are four opportunities over the next few days for you to find out more about Swindon's  new Community Strategy 'A Shared Vision for Swindon 2008 - 2030'

Friday 17th August in Great Western Hospital Atrium 10.30 - 4
Saturday 18th August on Highworth Market Place 9am to 1pm
Sunday 19th August at the Blunsdon Indoor Market/car boot sale 9 - noon
Monday 20th August in the Parade, Swindon (near Debenhams) 11 - 3

More than 500 people have already had their say about the kind of place that they would like Swindon to be in the year 2030.

Now it is your turn! Come and find out what people have said, tell us if you agree with the draft vision and then add your own ideas and suggestions.

You can also pick up a free booklet showing the draft strategy. Organised by the Swindon Strategic Partnership.

Find out more at www.swindonsp.org.uk/ssp-communitystrategy.htm

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Vision for Swindon 2030 consultation events
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:38:18 PM »

I wandered along to the SSP website and my eye was drawn to the following paragraph:

If you are a member of a group or organisation that meets regularly in Swindon, we could come and talk to you abou the vision and gather your views.  Just e-mail sroberts@swindon.gov.uk with details of your group, when you meet and how many people you expect to be there.

Interesting.

Earlier this year, Talkswindon was invited to attend the SSP conference. The admin team didn't request or blag an invite, we were telephoned by the SSP and invited.

We thought it might be interesting to wander along, have a look around an have a chat with other members of the SSP, then tell TS members what we'd seen and heard.

We promptly returned our invitation slips and heard nothing. Sent a couple of follow-up emails and heard nothing. We weren't really surprised by this, at the time there were several threads on TS which were actively discussing things several councillors would have preferred left quietly under the carpet.....infer from this what you will  ;)

This wasn't, and isn't a big deal for any of the admin team, nor do we suspect the wider membership will see it as a big deal now. I only mention it now because the SSP are now inviting your involvement via Talkswindon itself, which is ironic.

But I like irony.....

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:36:43 PM »
Hi Geoff

I personally asked Sheila to post onto talk Swindon, in respect of the 2030 vision as I thought it was a good medium, to use and I am grateful that she has done that. I do hope people will contribute, to the debate and from what I have seen of the process it is worth spending some time doing that. There will be a presentation at the next West Swindon Forum on Monday  10th September at 7pm then questions etc at 7.30pm.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:43:34 PM »
I'm glad you did so. I'm sure Sheilas' comments will be welcomed here  :)

I've found the online questionaire, but where's the debate happening?

*edit.

I've just read the Vision....and I forsee a few problems.....partially stemming from SBC's current fascination with 'vibrancy', which may leave the foundations for the vision a bit wobbly.

Yes, give me half an hour and I'll sort a dedicated forum for this in the consultation area.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:05:42 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:03:36 PM »
Vision (religion), inspirational renderings believed to come from a deity
A visual or generic hallucination
An overview hypothesis
A prediction
Goal (management) or vision, a euphemism for planning in commerce and in sport
Vision statement, a corporate long-term goal

Which one is it then?

I did try to read it, I really did, but found it a little sweet for my taste. I thought communities should evolve and the place of a local authority was to facilitate that evolution.

Piazza cafes in the pissing rain and gobbing scrotes in baseball caps shambling past, nice. Inclusive, diverse, yes we know all those words but I for one am mystified to how they practically manifest themselves in our day to day lives.

Please, please concentrate some effort on basics.

How about refurbishing and nurturing what exist here already, it's like watching a 3 year old with a limited attention span and limitless budget for flips sake, go on give it a try, maintain what we have and let it evolve naturally.

I'm not advocating anarchy but lets try and keep a tenuous grasp on reality shall we, 2012 I could have just about swallowed. 2030 is a bit, pompous I suppose.

And, there were no hovercars.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.