Author Topic: Anne Snelgrove: Member of Parliament for Swindon South (Labour)  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
Re: Anne Snelgrove: Member of Parliament for Swindon South (Labour)
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 09:55:48 AM »
A letter I sent to the Adver this evening:

Regarding Anne Snelgrove's comments in the Swindon Advertiser (Tuesday 31st July) about cannabis use, I find myself astonished at her outrageous supposition regarding stroke victims and their presumed habits. I quote: "I recently visited the stroke unit at the GWH and was shocked at the number of younger people suffering strokes. It used to be people in their seventies and eighties, now they see people in their forties, fifties and sixties and it is largely due to increased drug and alcohol issues. These are people who grew up in the 60's and cannabis still has this link with the hippy generation."
quote]

What the  :censored: is wrong with this woman. She is so stuck in her own mind and makes assumptions to what she thinks are facts, she cannot see the true facts. She needs to wake up and see the whole picture before making assuptions about people and issues. A relative of mine had a stroke, she was only in her early thirties and she did not smoke, drink or do drugs. Wonder how our Miss Snelgrove would feel if god forbid she had a stroke and ended up being labled an alcholic and dope smoker?

My advice to her is: take off your blinkers, stop being so tunnel visioned, find out ALL the facts before passing comment, and invest in some velcro  :-X

Pandora  >:D
http://www.penhill.blogswindon.org/ I AM NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE, BUT THANK GOD, I AM NOT WHERE I USED TO BE.

Offline James

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 12:13:04 PM »
It is possible that the Adver selectively quoted her.

Anyone from her office care to comment...?

James

Offline Pandora

• Views From The Hill
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
It is possible that the Adver selectively quoted her.

Anyone from her office care to comment...?

James

Hi James
It could be a possibility that the Adver 'selectivley quoted' her.
Surely though if you know you are going to appear in the Adver, you would be the first to want to see the article, and put right anything that was not said in the context they put it in.
I am not making any assumptions here, as she may or may not have read the article. All i am going to say is that if she has, will she apologise to the stroke victims who may or may not have taken her comments to heart and feel that they have been labled as being a dope smoker or an alcoholic. Each stroke victim is different. I am no medical expert, but there are many, many causes.
What ever happened to the saying 'Never judge a book by its cover'.
P.S sorry if i sound harsh, but i have had a couple of family members who have suffered strokes and the cause was nothing to do with drugs or alcohol. I am also aware that some cases can be related to drug and alcohol abuse, but not all. Each case is different in its own right and should not be assumed to be caused by the latter.

http://www.penhill.blogswindon.org/ I AM NOT WHERE I NEED TO BE, BUT THANK GOD, I AM NOT WHERE I USED TO BE.

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
My letter made it into today's Adver.

Ace.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »

T'was a good letter too, a real matter-of-fact stinger

I very much enjoyed the last paragraph.

Well put.

Offline burgersoft777

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 01:08:33 PM »
I have also written to the adver regarding Ann's Outrageously wrong comments about Stroke victims, This is one of those issue that is not going to just go away. I ask all interested parties to let Ann know that we expect more from our MP than this:

I thank Alan Haywood for bringing to my attention the outrageous comments of our local MP. Prior to her comments of July 31 published in the Advertiser, I had been under the impression that Ann was a sensible and intelligent woman. However her comment to Stroke victims in their 40's , 50's and 60's which in her ill chosen words is "largely due to increased Drug and Alcohol issues" is more than insulting.
The people who were in that unit on the day Ann visited know who they are and I would hope that a few of them have the intelligence to know when they have been libeled and act accordingly. Unlike many members of her party who have admitted to drug use these people have made no such admissions and should not be subjected to this kind of rude insinuation. It is clear that Ann is out of touch when it comes to the scientific evidence surrounding drug use, that is perhaps to be expected after all she is a Labour Politician not a scientist. However I had not thought that she was also out to score cheap points at the expense of sick people. The Advertiser should print a retraction it was insensitive to run such a poorly thought out quote. As for Ann, I am sorry to say she should either apologise or resign. It is one thing to blame drug peddlers for their plight or for that matter to moan about MP's who "got away with it" but a completely different thing to make assumptions about people who's background she cannot possible know.

I had been considering giving her the benefit of the doubt, but sadly I am now regretting voting her into office in the first place. She needs to apologize and consider her words far more carefully if she is to keep her seat.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 01:52:27 PM by burgersoft777 »

Offline burgersoft777

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2007, 01:24:03 PM »
:smiley6600: :smiley6600:

Well, Michael Wills was the invisible man at the Local Elections or was that payback for the fact that Anne hid in the shadows at the NO2ID debate at which he found himself defending the Government's position on his own?  Michael knew how important the 'locals' were to Anne and maybe that accounts for his absense.

Anne Snelgrove might be our MP for Swindon South, for the moment, but she doesn't represent us in any way whatsoever unlike her truly excellent predecessor Julia Drown. 

I am afraid the above will count heavily at the next General Election which could be sooner than we think!!

::) ::)
Yes Julia Drown was a fine constancy MP , despite being a party loyalist. Ann on the other hand seems to be a bit of and old fashioned bluffer hardly in the same class at all.  Swindon is a marginal seat really and tends to change hands with the ruling government. If Ann wants to keep her job , she should stop sucking up to the worst of the right wing of Labour and concentrate a great deal more on local issues and  what local people really want. Her Nanny state mentality is going to damage Her and the Labour party locally.

Offline burgersoft777

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »
[P.S sorry if i sound harsh, but i have had a couple of family members who have suffered strokes and the cause was nothing to do with drugs or alcohol. I am also aware that some cases can be related to drug and alcohol abuse, but not all. Each case is different in its own right and should not be assumed to be caused by the latter.

Far from sounding Harsh you are completely right. Would you please write to the adver or Ann directly and let her know how you feel. This is one time we can force an apology as she is clearly in the wrong.

Dick Norman

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 09:30:54 PM »
 ;)

Hey Folks, how come our Annie gets all the attention?  Nothing has been posted on the others since the beginning of April - how boring!!

Surely someone has something to say about Wills (Remember him cos he is MP for Swindon North) and also Tories to be - Buckland and Thomlinson.

Are these folks way off the radar or is it that Annie get your gun out is so controversial?

Love to know!!

:WTF:

Offline burgersoft777

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2007, 10:55:26 AM »
According to todays Advertiser Anne will be pulling pints on Friday (13th!) at the Rising Sun/Roaring Donkey something to do with British pub week.  I won't be there as have something else on.

I will not be there as I will be avoiding having a stroke. Honestly how hypocritical can one get. Moaning about drugs and alcohol issues and then a few days later pulling pints. :censored: :uglystupid2:..think again Ann sign the pledge

Dick Norman

« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2007, 01:11:23 AM »
 :)

Hey Soft Burger maybe Anne is getting into practice for another job when she gets booted out of Parliament!!

She would make a great barmaid anyway, but Friday the 13th is not my type of association!!

Anyone else going?

Offline Woodchopper

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:37 AM »
Hey Dick can't you read callenders - the 13th is on Monday so obviously anne is not expecting to see too many of her constituents!!

What has happened to the other protagonists?  by that I mean Wills, Buckland and Thomlinson - have they gone to ground?

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2007, 07:43:49 PM »
DickNorman/Burgersoft777/WoodChopper suggest you look at the date of my original post it refered to Friday 13th July she's come and gone I am afraid!!

Offline Alan Hayward

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 01:33:32 AM »

T'was a good letter too, a real matter-of-fact stinger

I very much enjoyed the last paragraph.

Well put.

Thanks Jarvis.

Good to see that you have also been "warned"  :D

I got a great letter from nAnnie a couple of weeks ago.

It put me completely straight on the subject of strokes and their cause. We're all stupid and don't know what we are doing to ourselves apparently.

I feel so embarrassed that I could have possibly had an opinion at odds with our local EmmPee. Or that I could doubt her knowledge, experience or sincerity.

Damn I am so stupid and inept to write to the local rag in such a way. I am truly humbled. I have decided to throw my quill pen away and vote Labourious at the next GE instead.

I will type her letter in if anybody is interested.
'Twas brillig and the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe

Offline Krippers

• Power chord of discord is my chord
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2007, 11:45:18 AM »
A letter I sent to the Adver this evening:

Regarding Anne Snelgrove's comments in the Swindon Advertiser (Tuesday 31st July) about cannabis use, I find myself astonished at her outrageous supposition regarding stroke victims and their presumed habits. I quote: "I recently visited the stroke unit at the GWH and was shocked at the number of younger people suffering strokes. It used to be people in their seventies and eighties, now they see people in their forties, fifties and sixties and it is largely due to increased drug and alcohol issues. These are people who grew up in the 60's and cannabis still has this link with the hippy generation."
quote]

What the  :censored: is wrong with this woman. She is so stuck in her own mind and makes assumptions to what she thinks are facts, she cannot see the true facts. She needs to wake up and see the whole picture before making assuptions about people and issues. A relative of mine had a stroke, she was only in her early thirties and she did not smoke, drink or do drugs. Wonder how our Miss Snelgrove would feel if god forbid she had a stroke and ended up being labled an alcholic and dope smoker?

My advice to her is: take off your blinkers, stop being so tunnel visioned, find out ALL the facts before passing comment, and invest in some velcro  :-X

Well said Pandora, the government, and publications such as the Swindon adv and mainstream right wing publications such as Mein Mail quickly jump on the 'cannabis is the evil of all roots' bandwagon. One of the key points I've derived from their derisive, foaming-at-the-mouth, vitriolic, ill informed, ill educated rhetoric is that they are actually a much bigger problem than cannabis is. I wrote a satirical piece after reading such invective poisoned penned by Mel Phillips of the Mail, the point of it was to highlight the damage that baseless ignorance of a subject can do to people that are users. The truth of cannabis is that it is recognised by the psychiatric community that the use of it has the potential to kick an already present mental condition into reality. Much like smoking cigarettes will likely trigger lung cancer in a person who has a genetic disposition to cancer. Understanding this very simple position leads to the inescapable conclusion that mainstream media publishing emotive articles on the terrors of cannabis can only do one thing and that is stop those members of the community who are in trouble with bad responses to the drug from ever coming forward to seek help. If I were a teenage user who knew that my family subscribed to the idiocy that is published on this subject and I started to go wrong with it all then there is no way I could ever go forward to them and talk about it, no way I would ever get help. If indeed I did have a mental condition that had been brought out by the use of this then there is only one possible outcome, the condition would develop unchecked and I would possibly be irreparably lost. This is why I have a clear and defined hatred of fools who make ill informed statements from an apparent position of authority simply to gain ground in the public eye, truly bl@@dy reprehensible and totally worth fighting.

As a close to this soapbox moment I give you some facts from the article I wrote :

Alcohol Related Crime statistics 2001/2002 in  England  and   Wales       

Homicide        319

Common assault 841,770

Wounding      309,730

Sexual offences  18,848

Burglary in business  159,998

Criminal damage  3,151,896

Robbery from individual  43,440

Robbery from business  9,185

Theft from a person  80,080

Theft of a pedal cycle  50,050

Theft of a vehicle  42,900

Theft from a vehicle  202,800

Attempted vehicle theft  91,910

Other theft and handling 192,920

Total 5,364,316

I couldn't find a single instance of any of the above offences being attributed to cannabis.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 01:35:32 PM by Krippers »
In a world bereft of hope, lost to immeasurable inhumanity,   entrenched in commercial exploitation, devoid of hope, where's my underpants?

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »
Too p*ssed to roll a fat one.

Allegedly.

I had a Wild Turkey and Cola before I wrote this
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Dick Norman

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 02:50:41 PM »
 :crazy2:

Not much from our MP for a change save that b....cks recorded at the conference.  Does anyone know what she thought about the postal strikes and the effects it had on the businesses and people of South Swindon?

I used to work for one of the worst three employers in the country (said to me in the Job Centre) - the Royal Mail and worked on the early shift at the Mail Centre in Dorcan.  During my time there I saw Julia Drown visiting on no less than three occasions, have you been there yet Anne and taken your Web Cam?  I am sure they would love to see you!!

:crazy2: