Author Topic: SBC Dog Control Orders Consultation Starts Today - May 25th 2007  (Read 25932 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: SBC Dog Control Orders Consultation Starts Today - May 25th 2007
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2007, 08:28:51 PM »

Funny you should say that....I don't know whether this bill has been successful in New York.......

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/02/07/taking-aim-at-ipod-oblivion/

The bill would effectively make it illegal to use any kind of portable electronic device–a music or video player, cell phone, smart phone, gaming device, etc. while crossing the street in cities such as New York, Albany and Buffalo. Offenders would be slapped with a $100 fine and a criminal court summons. Joggers and bicyclists would have to limit their iPod use to city parks in which no street crossing would be involved.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:57 PM »
The world is going insane!!!  :crazy2:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Tig

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
quote from Wiltshire's GWR fm site

Dog Control Orders

On August 1st 2007 new dog control orders come into force in West Wiltshire. Using powers under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment act, council offices and police community support officers will be able to issue fixed penalty notices of £80 to anyone caught breaking the orders. The council can also prosecute offenders handing them a fine of upto £1000.

The orders include:

The fouling of land by dogs - This means anyone who owns a dog will have to remove faeces deposited from public spaces in the borough, except where there's dog foul on agricultural land, or next to roads where the speed limits more that 40mph. Faeces will have to be cleaned off any defined surfaces though, that means paths, cycleways and pavements.

The exclusion of dogs order - The will mean you won't be able to take dogs into any children play areas, cemeterys, bowling greens or anywhere clearly fenced and with signs saying no dogs. The Common, Broughton Gifford, Norrington Common and the care park and open space at Westbury White Horse, south of Westbury Hill.

You can see a full list of the orders for West Wiltshire here.

Meanwhile, Swindon Borough Council's dog control orders consultation eneded on July 6th 2007. Those orders included the above and an additional clause. The dogs on leads order: This order means dogs will have to be kept on a lead in: Pedestrianised areas of the town centre, Queens Park, Penhill Park, The Town Gardens, and a designated area in Lydiard Park; around the main lawn area, cafe and barbeque area.

Not adhering to these orders in Swindon would also mean a fixed penatly notice. The money from those fines will be put towards running workshops to educate people about responsible dog ownership.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2007, 04:19:13 PM »
The money from those fines will be put towards running workshops to educate people about responsible dog ownership.

Hmmm....I'll believe that when I see it.

It's just as likely that Labour 5th columnist Councillor David Wren will seek to appropriate such fines and use them to surgically implant all of Swindons residents with RFID transponders as part of his 'Pay As You Dump' initiative.

Meanwhile I'm going on a new 'Electro-Plumb' course to learn how to fit the corresponding radio gizmos to the side of your toilet bowl......

This truly is the Dawning of the age of Aquarius.....

rob-magic

« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2007, 10:46:47 AM »
The world is going insane!!!  :crazy2:

The world started going insane a few thousand years ago (at least this time around!) when some giant (38ft) humanoids beings were chased across our galaxy and hid here on earth. They are still here, constantly engineering us to manufacture wars to re-create the technology they once had before the floods that came from the water-planet (second most luminous body in our skies next to our sun) that they had set up a dummy base on was destroyed in an attempt to rid our universe of their scum. They have used such technology in an attempt to break through the 'force field' that has been set up around our planet to prevent their 'escape'. Unfortunately for us, this was the cause of the hole in earth's ozone layer.

as far as I know anyway...

:-X lol

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2007, 05:21:03 PM »
 ;D

Rob - do I detect a sense of humour???

(Its impossible to be 100% whether you're joking or that's really what you believe... but on this ocassion, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt and thank you for making me chuckle!)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 07:36:50 PM »
Here - sorry to reanimate an old thread - but have a nose at the following:

(am I alone in detecting wanton  :spin: ??)

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/swindonnewsheadlines/display.var.2006456.0.town_mp_champions_dog_lovers_cause.php

What exactly has Snelgrove achieved viz a viz the soon-to-be-imposed dog orders? Can anyone share any light? It seems on the one hand she's saying -

It's so nice to see a well-trained dog enjoying a run in one of Swindon's parks
  (which of course will no longer be possible in certain arbitarily designated zones)

... but then the article limply concludes with -

The proposed orders, which are due to go before Swindon Council's cabinet in the coming months, will only affect people who give dog owners a bad name as they underline what most sensible, responsible dog owners do already.

This last quote isn't attributed - so its unclear as to whether that's Ms Snelgrove's view, that of the writer or that of SBC. It's also unclear as to what 'do' in the context of good or bad actually is!

Smells like this piece came as a press release to me, especially as it doesn't have a by-line. Was it issued from Snelgrove, The Kennel Club - or even SBC?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
It was issued by the "We Love Rotweilers Club "
Bobby

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 09:53:18 PM »
Even the puff on Ms Snelgrove's website reads like a Kennel Club press release, rather one of her own.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 10:15:06 AM »
KC Dog approached Anne Snelgrove MP when a councillor in her constituency put forward a proposal to have a ban on dogs off leads at all times. Anne became actively involved in the matter and wrote to the councillor and the leader of the council to express her concerns. Anne also wrote to the then animal welfare minister, Ben Bradshaw, for his opinion on the subject. Anne was also willing to issue a joint press release with KC Dog but due to the pressure placed on him, the councillor withdrew his motion. Anne also strongly supports the Kennel Club’s electric shock collar campaign. 

Is this true - has Wren withdrawn the motion? I thought this is due to be heard very soon? What's going on here? Geoff - has Anne actually done something worthy of praise?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 10:59:27 AM »
...Anne was also willing to issue a joint press release with KC Dog but due to the pressure placed on him, the councillor withdrew his motion

Is this true - has Wren withdrawn the motion? I thought this is due to be heard very soon? What's going on here? Geoff - has Anne actually done something worthy of praise?

Maybe, perhaps, don't think so and I very much doubt it!, (always I'm always happy to be corrected) :)

I understand the motion has been quietly dropped due to pressure from other councillors, who quite rightly suggested that byelaws already exist which cover ever aspect of section 55, (Dog control orders), and that if these byelaws were actually enforced, section 55 is unnecessary.

The council also recognised that adopting section 55 automatically and permanently replaced the previous byelaws, making Swindon Borough Council fully responsible for policing section 55, and perhaps the entirety of the Clean Neighbourhoods and environment act. Hence my previous comments about David Wrens' enviroment police.

Thankfully the Council is not yet willing to take on policing functions which, (in my honest opinion), ought to continue to be carried out by the police, and neither did the council jump at the revenue raising opportunities implicitly implied in section 55.

I will thank David Wren (and his officer Steve Harcourt) publicly for seeing sense, and his Councillor colleagues for adopting a less gung-ho approach to section 55 than him, but only when it's been properly announced.

I remain hopeful that section 55 is properly dead, but I'd like to see the death certificate before having the wake.

In the meantime, I think the Snelgrove/KC quote is another example of a plausibly deniable, ambiguous press release..... or maybe just poor reporting. In any event the quote is more accurate like this:

Anne was also willing to issue a joint press release with KC Dog but due to the pressure placed on him, the councillor withdrew his motion.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2008, 06:11:24 PM »
Can we please call a halt to the repeated use of the phrase 'withdraw his motion'. It is making me feel ill.

'I will thank David Wren (and his officer Steve Harcourt) publicly for seeing sense', likewise. But I would still like to take a ticket for the growing queue to kick him in the nuts vis a vis Wheeliebingate, if indeed he was the mover and shaker behind this misguided and 'right on' bit of cobblers. Don't get me wrong, me and mine are fine, 2 bags picked up on weekly collection is perfectly marvellous, but to failing to accept any culpability for the bloody mess that still lays around not too many yards away is pretty lame. Yes, there are lazy dirty sh1ts about, but there always were and will be, to claim this minority are responsible for the posted pictures is just damn lazy.

Brand new scheme and it is all hunky dory, it's a bloody fairy tale and the scheme's supporters know it, and they erode what value the scheme does offer with their blinkered adherence to whatever load of old wossname they are adhering to.

Clear up the remaining mess, kick the arses of dirty bastards, stay with AWC October to February, go weekly when it's warmer and we could have a workable scheme.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »

I've been wondering who'd say it first  :)

Quote from: Mart
...stay with AWC October to February, go weekly when it's warmer and we could have a workable scheme

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2008, 07:03:48 PM »
To be honest it wasn't me.

I think there are rumblings over in the South East that it could be a compromise that suits the 'consumer' (you know they're itching to call us that) and takes significant steps to avoid the belgian fines.

There is some momentum gathering and the WHO subscribe to it as well.

I also discovered Mole Valley only has one fixed Speed Camera, that's on the Mickleham bends famed amongst bikers for the fun you could have on them, so they shut one lane of the dual carriage way and stuck the camera in.

They move mobile units to roads where accidents occur. I like that policy as well.

Remarkably sane, but the sanity is reassuringly absent from other policies.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
Regarding the Mole Valley mono camera (wrong thread really, I know)

http://www.surrey-safecam.org/fe/default.asp?n1=1&n2=44&n3=29

See!

Don't even bother with Thamesdown. Loads.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2008, 08:22:20 PM »
Runymeade is even better with 0

Reigate and Banstead sees peppered with 'em  :)

D'ya know what I do when I'm on a bit of a downer regarding scameras, overactive cctv surveillance etc?.....

....I look at a small collection of dirty pictures.

I find it somehow lifts my spirits.  :)

Dick Norman

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
 ;D

Good Game Geoff.  Do you the one (camera that is) at the Northern end of the A6 Clapham Bypass just North of Bedford.  You go from a very fast dual carriageway to a 50 MPH limit with a dreaded camera on it.

All the locals plus me know it is there but some people see it last minute and brake furiously.  I suggest this is more dangerous than it not being there, but the point of the story is that one day someone presumbly with a Land Rover put a chain on it and removed it.  That said the evidence was left about ten yards away.  I guess they got their picture taken.

Incidentally, what has happened to David Wren?  He is noted for his low profile or is it as I understand his function is now being attended to by his nominated shadow and expected successor Brian Mattock?  Anyway maybe Brian could throw some light on this subject and say whether or not this is going through or not?  Or is it like so many unpopular Tory plans just disappearing into the mists of time?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

Don't know.....still waiting for the death certificate.

I'm still being told, (by a councillor that I trust), that section 55 of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2006 will not be adopted by SBC.

But...

....the adver is all over schedule 3A of the act: "FREE DISTRIBUTION OF PRINTED MATTER ON DESIGNATED LAND" - The offence of unauthorised distributionk, which it reports is due for adoption by SBC later this year, along with the rest of the Act. (presumably after the May local elections  ;) )

Keep your eyes on this subject, it might yet turn into a bunfight.