Author Topic: How Do I: Quote someone elses text in my post?  (Read 5827 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
How Do I: Quote someone elses text in my post?
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:49:29 PM »

Thanks for your reply Dave    Must confess have not yet got used to using the quote facility!

C of OT et al

Talkswindon has a really good, comprehensive help section which is unfortunately hidden behind an inconspicuous button  :)

for an explanation of what all these buttons do....

click this link http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?action=help;page=post#quote

There are several ways to insert quotes into your posts, but probably the easiest one to learn first is to:

Highlight and copy the text you wish to copy into your post

copy it using ctrl+c 

paste it into your post using ctrl+v, highlight it again and click the 'quote' button...which is this one

what you will see in your post editor is:

Code: [Select]
   [quote]your quote inserted between these brackets[/quote]
which will look like this when you hit the 'post' button:

your quote inserted between these brackets

« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 03:07:08 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Re: How Do I: Quote someone elses text in my post?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
One thing I often do is to use the "Quote" or "Insert quote" links on the topic or post reply page to add the content of the post I'm quoting into my quote. But if you don't want to quote the entire post, you can delete the lines from the quote that you don't want to quote. For example, if I want to quote just one sentence of Geoff's post above, I click on the "quote" link, which puts his entire post into the text box. After deleting the lines I don't want to quote, I'm left with this in the text box:

Code: [Select]
[quote author=Geoff Reid link=topic=1803.msg9648#msg9648 date=1179179369]
Talkswindon has a really good, comprehensive [url=http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?action=help]help section[/url] which is unfortunately hidden behind an inconspicuous button  :)
[/quote]

Which displays like this:

Talkswindon has a really good, comprehensive help section which is unfortunately hidden behind an inconspicuous button  :)
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
I type it all out again.

I fix the spelling and punctuation.

I change the words and context as it suits me to support my argument, views and to portray the original author in the light in which I want them to be seen.

An example might be if, I dunno, Tobes said " I am not a Lib Dem", if it suited me I would type "Tobes is a Lib Dem". Which, of course, he isn't because he has never claimed credit for the Kingshill crossing.

I believe the practice is called 'journalism' or, in extreme cases, 'politics'.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:56:13 PM »
Or a 'Martism'   :hippy:
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:18:12 PM »
Ah, Karl Marts.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »
My thought exactly, but it's 19.00 on a Sunday and time for my blue winky light to twinkle for a good half an hour. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)