Author Topic: why is Cime higher in Lib Dem Eastcott than other areas in Swindon?  (Read 13018 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Re: why is Cime higher in Lib Dem Eastcott than other areas in Swindon?
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2007, 07:14:43 PM »
Quote from:  Councillor Steve Wakefield
I am happy to debate with any Councillor council policy on this board I would prefer to do it in the first instance in the Council Chamber, however I enjoy the opportunity offered by TalkSwindon, if or when this does not happen and as is the case sometimes this forum is the only way to engage in some debate, I grasp that opportunity with both hands. So thank you admin team for allowing that.

Not so much a case of 'allowing' as positively encouraging councillors to do exactly that.

The Talkswindon admin team met recently and spent several hours discussing the relationship between citizens, their councillors and the democratic process in the local context.

It seems a huge number of the local population are not aware of when, or even where, the council meets, and their first contact with their local councillor will occur when there arises a problem they wish to discuss.

The Talkswindon admin team believe that an 'information and involvement gap' exists which actively discourages or completely prevents citizen engagement with both the democratic processes of local government and the day to day operation of Swindon Borough Council.

Put bluntly, most people aren't really aware of where the council is geographically, how it functions as a democratic body and do not usually have the time to attend council meetings.  It should also be noted that the council chamber could not accomodate large numbers of people if they did decide to attend meetings.

The public is interested in local politics, but largely unable to engage or even spectate.  The reporting of council activities in local newpapers is also insufficiently in-depth to bridge the engagement gap.

The Talkswindon forum is perhaps uniquely placed to provide the opportunity, and the means, by which every Swindon Councillor can help bridge this gap easily, at zero cost to the taxpayer or themselves, and will take only a few minutes of their time each day.

Therefore, we would like to invite all Swindon Councillors to discuss this with the Talkswindon Admin team in a private forum we will create, and make available to them, to discuss our idea further.

In the first instance, would councillors please register their interest in joining the discussion by sending a short 'I'm interested, let me in' email to:

Thank you

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 04:30:43 PM »
Zip
You have articulated your points very well, and I think that we are in violent agreement, engaging people in a public area or forum is what sets this country aside from North Korea or even our own European Commision, which meets and makes decisions behind closed doors. Debating politics in the living room, well that is a novel thought, however I now find that politics is back on the agenda in my local.

It is really hard enough to escape the poltics of the living room, only to be confronted with it when trying to have a quiet pint. What next discussing it with the "man on the Clapham omnibus. Politics is part of Talkswindon, because Talk Swindon is now recognised as being an important player in the virtual community of Swindon. The days of IT and Anoraks is long gone, it appears to me that nearly every young person I speak to today tells me that they have a "myspace" or a Bebo page and so does many politicians, celebraties etc. Some parents including celebraties actually find out that their children have one after their house has been trashed by gatecrashers that attended a party at their home, which their little darling had advertised on their MYspace page (councillors as well or so I am lead to believe) The public can always debate in the Council chamber, what they have to do is Stand as a Councillor there is little disqualification to stop anyone from standing, perhaps you might consider it and perhaps who knows if you are successful you may even sit next to Cllr Wood. I would always welcome anyone who wants to be a Councillor to have a go at standing. There will be elections next May in Swindon and that will be your last chance until  2010. Which will be good as that is when the 50 promises will have been delivered and plans will need to be laid for the next few years, being part of that process wil be exciting and interesting for all concerned.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:31 PM »

Didn't you mean: The 49 promises?

that is when the 50 promises will have been delivered and plans will need to be laid for the next few years, being part of that process wil be exciting and interesting for all concerned.

I won't take this thread off-topic, but perhaps we could investigate this here:

Offline concerned_of_Old_Town

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 08:57:33 PM »
Thanks for your reply Dave    Must confess have not yet got used to using the quote facility!

Good news that you/police have spoken to the people at The Foyer perhaps this needs publicising more!

Must confess take issue with the arguement that re-location of police station has not had any effect on crime.  A case in point is the alleyway by the post Office and Wiltshire Radio.  Over the last two years I have noticed that this has become increasingly no go area with quite often (especially in summer) gangs of "yobs" hanging around smoking weed etc and generally graffitti all over the place.  I cannot find a policeman to move them on and if i report them probably take ages to get any response and do not feel confident on moving them on myself!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 10:18:39 PM »
Dear concerned...

Given the undisguised lack on interest / low intellect from which ever part-timer who mans the incident desk for the police (last time I called as a member of the public, I was asked if I had 'any cctv footage' ?!!!) lets think about some other options. I was amazed when I called through to the police after witnessing a hude crowd of about a dozen drunken youths moving up the back streets between Central and Old Town. All were well under 18, all were bladdered, making a row, chucking bottles around and pi$$ing in the neighbours gardens. Furthermore, I'd read only the very same day about the 'Old Town Mob' of little delinquents who apparently go around smashing windows, graffiting and mugging. You might have imagined that the servants of the old bill would at least be grudgingly grateful of the intelligence that a group fitting the description were on the move. To say that their response was underwealmed would be an understatement. You could hear it in the tone of the call desk operator... 'oh well, we'll send a car' - which of course never arrived...

Anyway, absolutely no reason why we shouldn't form a group of contacts to get together if someone wants to act, but feels unable to do so in isolation. I'm not talking vigilantism - simply another witness (with a digital camera and a mobile phone)...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 10:57:19 PM »
what they have to do is Stand as a Councillor there is little disqualification to stop anyone from standing, perhaps you might consider it and perhaps who knows if you are successful you may even sit next to Cllr Wood.

Oh my! I currently sit next to Pete Stoddart (Con, Abbey Meads).  This will set the rumour mills grinding!

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 11:02:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply Dave    Must confess have not yet got used to using the quote facility!

Good news that you/police have spoken to the people at The Foyer perhaps this needs publicising more!

We publicised this to the 800 houses we thought to be most affect, but fair point!

Must confess take issue with the arguement that re-location of police station has not had any effect on crime.  A case in point is the alleyway by the post Office and Wiltshire Radio.  Over the last two years I have noticed that this has become increasingly no go area with quite often (especially in summer) gangs of "yobs" hanging around smoking weed etc and generally graffitti all over the place.  I cannot find a policeman to move them on and if i report them probably take ages to get any response and do not feel confident on moving them on myself!

I may be wrong about this, but my understanding is that the cars are already 'out' and they send a cars already out to appropriate places.  Certainly I understand most patrols are assigned to a geographic location for the night, so the location of the station makes little difference from this standpoint.
However a lot of people have told me that have trouble with the fact that when calling the Police they are routed to Devizes, and we've told the Police this many times.

If you could get in touch with my offboard we can talk about reporting the gangs to the right Police officer who will be able to do something about it.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »
Dear concerned...

Given the undisguised lack on interest / low intellect from which ever part-timer who mans the incident desk for the police (last time I called as a member of the public, I was asked if I had 'any cctv footage' ?!!!) lets think about some other options. I was amazed when I called through to the police after witnessing a hude crowd of about a dozen drunken youths moving up the back streets between Central and Old Town. All were well under 18, all were bladdered, making a row, chucking bottles around and pi$$ing in the neighbours gardens. Furthermore, I'd read only the very same day about the 'Old Town Mob' of little delinquents who apparently go around smashing windows, graffiting and mugging. You might have imagined that the servants of the old bill would at least be grudgingly grateful of the intelligence that a group fitting the description were on the move. To say that their response was underwealmed would be an understatement. You could hear it in the tone of the call desk operator... 'oh well, we'll send a car' - which of course never arrived...

Anyway, absolutely no reason why we shouldn't form a group of contacts to get together if someone wants to act, but feels unable to do so in isolation. I'm not talking vigilantism - simply another witness (with a digital camera and a mobile phone)...

If it's the same group I've discussed them with the Police; they move around allover South Swindon.

Again if you'd like to get in touch offboard we can discuss the best way to take this forwards.

Other things to consider, as you mentioned group action, might be to kickstart Neighbourhood Watch and/or organise a Residents Association which would provide a regular conduit to the Police.  Again we're here 100% to help set such things up.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »

Have a ganders here for a 'quick start' guide to quoting   :)