Author Topic: phones4u  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
phones4u
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:16:16 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that these cheap suited, smarmy, sales staff with their garish ties are out in force again? everytime you go past their branch they jump on you with their 'do you have a mobile phone contract? how long have you had it?' questions....today I told him to 'mind his own business and to get back in his shop and to stop harassing people'  I don't think he knew what to do, the look of shock on his face was classic  ;D

Don't companies need a licence for all this?  it's purely for commercial gain, no charity, no political statement, just down right harrassment for their own greed.

I say BOYCOTT phones4u, I ususally find that you get better deals on the internet or directly from the operators anyway.......bloody parasites  >:(

Offline Lynda

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Re: phones4u
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 07:06:42 PM »
I see them occasionally when we're out leafleting in the town centre.

I don't mind anyone handing out leaflets be they commercial or political.
I think there's been a bit said on this forum about the direct debit charity workers... i don't mind them either.

All part of the fabric of life.

having said that - I do know that a lot of people are intimidated ( especially by Geoff ) or irritated by any type of leafleting. I try to be as polite as can be when leafleting and allow people to take a wide berth if they choose to.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Alligator

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 07:39:48 PM »
Lynda, you're way toooooooo tolerant of these people, yes I agree that leafltters can be a pain in the a**e, but at least they are usually trying to enlighten you about something or other and will only be there once on a blue moon.  These people are there all the time, every day, cluttering the place up, swarming all over the pedestrian areas with their fake armani suits, pointy shoes and cheap aftershave.  All for their own gain so that they can get themselves back down to the outlet village to top up on their 'two suits for forty quid' attire.

Don't get me started on those 'charity' workers, my doctor has tld me to watch my blood pressure.

I suppose Geoff could be intimidating if you don't know him....can you imagne what people would think if he broiught is dogs along??  actually Geoff can I borrow your dogs, there are some people in town that I'd like to introduce them to.  ;)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »
These people are there all the time, every day, cluttering the place up, swarming all over the pedestrian areas with their fake armani suits, pointy shoes and cheap aftershave.  All for their own gain so that they can get themselves back down to the outlet village to top up on their 'two suits for forty quid' attire.

A little sharp in your criticism of their appearance perhaps?

Perhaps these people have just been told to go fluttering leaflets by some under qualified marketing clerk.
Perhaps they need their jobs , are unable to assert themselves and have no-one to refer to apart from the under qualified marketing rat?

I saw a leafleting person out side that minging little Sainsbury's today.
When I told her I was so sorry but actually I just couldn't be bothered to listen to her pitch, she laughed, I laughed, we made friends,exchanged phone numbers and all was well in our world.
Maybe you need to step out of your world......

Offline Alligator

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:26:33 PM »
Maybe I have been a little harsh on their appearance, and you may also be on to something about the unqualified marketing rat.  Their uniform appearance certainly suggests that there is some form of dress code imposed on them.....surely people wouldn't choose to dress like that unless there's an unqualified marketing rat told you to ;D

Having recently leafletted in the town centre myself, I have stepped into a previously unknown new world and do see things differently, which is partly why I object to phones4u (the company) so much.  Their behaviour is so unnecessary, you can achieve so much in other ways as I'm sure your new lady friend  ;) will understand.....if it was a choice of staying inside my world, or stepping outside of it to pounce on other people for my own financial gain, then I think I'll stay put for now.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:40:37 AM »
The trouble is that if the P4U approach becomes the accepted norm, we'll be in danger of turning the town centre into some sort of chav/Egyptian Souk hybrid, with smarmy sales people outside EVERY shop trying to lure you in with their sales patter. "Have you no eggs my friend? Eggs very good for your virility, come, come with me into Sainsbury's, my cousen, he do you plenty fantasic deal on a dozen eggs! Come, Come! He throw in six avocados too for free!"

I spend enough of my time trying to avoid the phlegm, obese bling-smothered 17 year old mothers with double buggies, pissed tatooed benefit boozers and the mountain biking chav hordes to want to add an extra unsightly and irritating hurdle to my shopping experience.

D'y know, I wouldn't care if the P4U people were actually offering something of interest, but a bloody phone deal? Its not as though (as Zippy says) that they're actually doing it out of some fervent beleif in their own product - its about THE COMMISSION. Perhaps if P4U produced some decent deals and paid their staff a decent wage, there'd be no need for their staff to humilate themselves in the hopes of a sale?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Ayatollah

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 11:36:05 AM »
Although we can't see it I think the P4U staff are tethered by and invisible chain to the shop? What is annoying is that every day you walk down Regent Street there is someone with an identity card or permit hassling you for a charity or market research - this is every day. Do the Council get a cut from these people?

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »
Do the Council get a cut from these street traders.?
Not a cut as such but they have to pay for a street trading license.
If you are fed up with these pressure sales ask them to show you their license.
It should always be on show in a prominenet position.
Bobby