Author Topic: A Public Meeting In Swindon - Whose Identity Is It Anyway ?  (Read 13960 times)

Offline Winston Smith

A Public Meeting In Swindon - Whose Identity Is It Anyway ?
« on: January 16, 2007, 02:58:06 PM »

The nearest two car parks to the Pilgrim Centre are:

[1] Morley Street (24hr pay and display - £1.80 for more than 2 hrs after 6pm) 150 metre walk from the Pilgrim Centre, via Commercial road.

[2] Princes Street (24hr pay and display - £1.80 for more than 2 hrs after 6pm) 180 metre walk from the Pilgrim centre, situated on the
north-bound carriageway of the Princes Street dual carriageway, vehicular access via Gordon Road or Islington Street.

LibDem details edited upon request by admin
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 11:27:33 PM by Admin »

*Image Removed*

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: A Public Meeting In Swindon - Whose Identity Is It Anyway ?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 01:37:57 PM »

This promises to be an interesting and informative evening of discussion.  8)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:53:37 PM »
Who is Anna Ellis?
I recognise the others.

Offline Lynda

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
Who is Anna Ellis?
I recognise the others.

Anna Ellis works for a blue chip company.
She is a data-base expert.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 05:24:14 PM »

Am I right in thinking Lord Stoddart was once the MP for Swindon ?.

I don't usually go to public meetings, but the line up of speakers looks too good to miss  :)

How much are you paying them, and why is there only one of our two MP's coming ?

:popcorn:

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »

Am I right in thinking Lord Stoddart was once the MP for Swindon ?.

I don't usually go to public meetings, but the line up of speakers looks too good to miss  :)

How much are you paying them, and why is there only one of our two MP's coming ?

:popcorn:

Yes
Lord Stoddart served the people of Swindon as Labour MP ( 1970 ....) he was a member of the Labour party for 54 years, now he sits as an independent Lord.

Both Anne Snelgrove and Michael Wills were of course invited.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
Hi

How much time will there be for questions and can you just turn up?

Thanks

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 07:59:34 PM »
Hi

How much time will there be for questions and can you just turn up?

Thanks

Hi Walbrook,

The questions should last for about an hour from from around 8.15 pm.  There's no problem with just turning up, though I would suggest you get there early.

Rgds
Alligator

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Thanks Alligator

Is the discussion mainly about identity cards or will it be a broader discussion on all forms of 'Big Brother' control !!!.

:)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »
well, that's a difficult one to answer as I don't know what the speakers will choose to focus on.  However we have asked the speakers to give their views on the govt's ID cards and the national identity register. 

I wouldn't wish to prejudge what kind of speeches we may hear, but if they don't touch on any specific points, I'm sure you, or other members of the audience, may raise a question or three  O0

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »

Is the discussion mainly about identity cards or will it be a broader discussion on all forms of 'Big Brother' control !!!.

:)

I expect the discussion will be as wide as the river of the datbase`state.
It will certainly not be limited by the organisers , nor I suspect by the audience!

Offline HeidiT

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks Guys

Sounds fantastic, so will definately be there.

;)

Offline NO2ID Swindon

• no2id.net
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 10:46:47 AM »

Brunel Fm have been promoting the meeting on the Saturday morning hourly news....

If you missed the 9am and  10am news you can hear the bulletins here:

Click Here for 9am news

Click here for 10am news

Will add further bulletins where possible, although you should really be listening to Brunelk FM anyway. Excellent station  O0

*Image Removed*

Offline Dale Heenan

• Covingham and Nythe Intouch
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 11:47:19 AM »
I have Planning Committee when this is on, but if we finish in good time I'm going to try and come along

Offline NO2ID Swindon

• no2id.net
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 12:23:00 PM »

You should Dale, as should anyone interested in either side of the discussion.

More broadcasts....

Brunel FM 11am News

Brunel FM Events Guide

Brunel FM Saturday Midday News

*Image Removed*

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 08:08:25 AM »
A good meeting last night.

Award of the night to Lord Stoddart who managed to create a fire in the belly of even the angry.
Even I was surprised by the depth of and breadth of concerns expressed by the audience.

L

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 02:51:33 PM »
It was an excellent experience. Point after point, concern after concern rasied and confirmed. The only shame of it was the lack of defence or response from the 'pro' side of the argument. I felt credit goes to Michael Wills for gallantly trying to defend his party's policies - but he hardly struck me as someone who was particularly passionate regarding his cause - or someone who could counteract any of the concerns with any concrete assurances.

Anne Snelgrove's presence but non-engagement struck me as unfortunate - and more than a little selfish on her behalf. If our two elected MPs can't rustle up some support or both manage to participate in public debate on an issue of such magnitude an importance concerning our civil liberties (regardless of whether you're pro or anti), then it doesn't speak at all highly of their convictions. Last night reminded me, as someone who was a PR officer for over five years, of a spin doctors expediant advice to someone who knows that they're on the wrong end of public opinion or the facts: Don't fight a battle that you can't win. Ever wondered why a normally publicity hungry government so often now refuses to put up speakers on radio four? Well, to my mind, this is what we saw on a micro scale in Swindon last night. Of course, the irony for Anne and Michael of course (though it may be lost on them) is that the audience were clearly a mix of all ages, backgrounds and votes. Despite the strong presence of conservative councillors and party members, there was a good percentage of that audience who were probably once labour voters. How crushing for them to see that New Labour have managed to cook up such an obviously self defeating and contradictory policy as to unite such unlikely bedfellows as The Greens, UKIP, The Lib Dems and The Conservatives on the same platform!

Lord Stoddart was fantastic - what a priviledge to hear a man of wisdom, principal AND conviction - someone who put that above personal career aspirations, or even his party when he felt his party to be wrong. If there were a few more people like him, there wouldn't be the degree of disengagement that we see in modern politics.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:10:50 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 05:44:37 PM »
Beautifully put Tobes and Lynda, I was there too, and found it extremely interesting. As an ex Labour party member with once high  hopes  I couldn't agree with your sentiments more.
Lord Stoddart was inspirational and if only there were more like him.
As an ex corporate middle manager I can confirm that the intrigues in the House of Commons are reflected in big corporations - sadly to the detriment of the employees and customers but entirely to the benefit of the shareholders and senior managers.  Just like career politicians who neglect  to reflect the wishes and views of the electorate.
Incidentally I also have a lot of experience in creating and managing large databases  and everything mooted as a concern was totally justfied.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 06:40:38 PM »

The Panel - Left to right

Lord Stoddart of Swindon, Stephen Halden, Martin Wiltshire, Anna Ellis, Keith Stainer, Bill Hughes, Justin Tomlinson, Robert Buckland, Michael Wills

Lord Stoddart

Martin Wiltshire

Michael Wills

I'll get some detailed words and video up soon...still knackered at the moment  :)

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 07:48:36 PM »

This from Alex

I was there too, and found it extremely interesting. As an ex Labour party member with once high  hopes  I couldn't agree with your sentiments more.
Lord Stoddart was inspirational and if only there were more like him.

and this from Tobes

Despite the strong presence of conservative councillors and party members, there was a good percentage of that audience who were probably once labour voters.

The point that the Labour party seem to be missing time and time again is that a huge number of Labour party members or voters are unable to live with the NIR. it is a ballot box issue.
Someone said to me last night that the NIR was a matter of policy, it was not a party matter.
I told them they were wrong - this is a party matter.
The Labour party has created this law.
It is a party matter right now.

Most Labour supporters I know are going to have a fair hard time voting next time around - many Labour supporters cannot, just cannot, vote for another party.