Author Topic: Over 200 responses so far to RP Survey...  (Read 31720 times)

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
Re: Over 200 responses so far to RP Survey...
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 12:50:54 AM »
200 responses out of how many sent out?

I suspect SBC got a lot of replies back..
together with registrations for e voting...
in their orange boxes kindly provided free of charge.

I was going to reply but after reading it a second time, thought it was a very one sided questionaire.
I think only 200 responses says a lot... people don't trust SBC to do anything.
Every one knows SBC is in it for the money, not residents benefit.
Where do all the fines go? Not back to the parking scheme.. more likely the Councils pension scheme or similar  same place the 'profit' from the hospital parking goes. :-P

SBC parking wanted to fine me £60 because they didn't remind me about my permit expiring as they stated in a letter.. and the parking attendents couldn't be bothered to issue a single warning..just fined me 2.5 weeks after I hadn't noticed it had expired.   
(cycle to work, hardly use the car nowadays:-)
Two rejected challenges, legal costs and a NPAS hearing and they cancel it..just..

in Zone K nearly 60% of all fines are residential..
i.e. it means that SBC is fining the residents not people parking ilegally. 
4 real residents in my street were 'done' last year as far as I know. 
This didn't happen before SBC got parking decriminalised and within reach of their greedy talons.

Offline DaveWood

• Swindon Liberal Democrats
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 10:06:30 PM »
I'm not sure wat constitutes the 'Westcott area', this isn't covered in the leaflet.  Also the number of 'hundreds' of responses suggests that the responses may have been higher than the title of this thread suggests.   :-\

Don;t know people in other parts of ld Town and Central said, but this may give a taster.

You should have recieved a leaflet previously saying that the turnout was around 2,500 - which I understand to be approx 25% across the board.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2007, 10:22:52 PM »
A similar leaflet was delivered to the Broadgreen area, with different percentages. As with the Westcott area, apparently hundreds of Broadgreen residents replied.

Turnout was indeed 25%.

What this Council (of both colours) as always historically failed to realise is that RP does not work as a one-size-fits-all scheme.  The survey, as I understand it, will be analysed by Ward Members (including myself) on a zone by zone basis.  As it should be, each area has different needs, problems and priorities.

As a resident I would be interested to learn of the parking initiatives the Lib Dems have.

The party has many plans for RP, all of which are in the public domain.  But the key is to be guided by residents.  As the leaflet says, the residents have made clear the solutions they want.  We will support them.

As a resident I would be interested to learn of the parking initiatives the Lib Dems have.  And also I would be interested to learn of the Youth plans that the Lib Dems have put out on their previous leaflet.  I have worked with the young people of Broadgreen since last September and helped them with a bid to Youth Bank - I now am a Voluntary worker with the youth group in Broadgreen - and we have heard nothing from Steve Pipe or the LibDems - no ideas - no help - oh yeah empty promises, alas in  the Central Ward we are so used to those.

The leaflet welcomed the local increase in youth provision but said the Council must shoulder the responsibility for providing more resources.

I am not politically motivated - my strong point is community based.  After meeting people from across the Ward - every one is fed up with the nasty games that are played around election time. I have knocked on many doors in Central and so many people are not interested what so ever in the council elections, it is unbelievable.
If people are prepared to talk, the general  feeling is apathy, no councillors have bothered to work for the ward before, they all make their promises then disappear when they get in. There's no answer to that, I know exactly how they feel.

There is an answer.  And Steve made it very clear in the leaflet you referred to.

In many ways Eastcott is a similar area to Central.  Though my understanding of the history is sporadic I do understand that there was a time that Eastcott swung from party to party in frustration, with sitting councillors moving on to 'safer' seats and no-one really commiting for the long term.

And then they gave the Focus Team of the time a try.  The seat remained close for some years but we worked hard for those years to slowly gain the trust of those residents.  That trust was largely gained and for nearly 10 years now residents full-throated support has remained static as we keep working and staying in touch year after year.  Now, after 20-odd years, residents do trust.  Not all of course, but most.

This is exactly what Central needs.  And it won't happen overnight.  It may take many years, but it will happen.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2007, 10:26:44 PM »
I am not politically motivated

Careful Karen - a cynic might ask why are you making what appears to be a very clearly motivated political comment about your work with youth teams and why are you having a pop at the Lib Dems regarding their 'youth plans'? (nothing to do with this thread!)

;)

This did disappoint me slightly.

Even though Karen and I have only ever had email contact I have spoken highly of her to everyone I have come across as someone interested in the community rather than in party political point-scoring.

I'm only young so I'm sure I've plenty of bubbles yet to burst before I'm through.

Offline James

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2007, 12:34:25 AM »
so...
Dave,
The survey, as I understand it, will be analysed by Ward Members (including myself) on a zone by zone basis.
This is good, but may be too late for me.

When will this be completed?

James

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2007, 12:42:20 AM »
so...
Dave,
The survey, as I understand it, will be analysed by Ward Members (including myself) on a zone by zone basis.
This is good, but may be too late for me.

When will this be completed?

James

Months ago would have been good.  But the best we can hope for is kickstarting right after the election.

shorty

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2007, 12:51:44 AM »
Dave Wood says
Months ago would have been good.  But the best we can hope for is kickstarting right after the election

Didn't I hear you had been asked along to meetings to discuss this but couldn't make any of them? Odd how the results have been out for ages and yet....

Maybe you want someone else to take the decision for you because (GOSH! it might be politically sensitive ?)

Strange for you, would have thought you would have seen that coming !

I may be short but I can see through most people .......

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »
Ho Hum

Dave Wood says
Months ago would have been good.  But the best we can hope for is kickstarting right after the election

Didn't I hear you had been asked along to meetings to discuss this but couldn't make any of them? Odd how the results have been out for ages and yet....

Did you ( hear that )?
What I hear is that you lot have the results of the RP survey and are hugginf them to yourselves.

Dave Wood says

Maybe you want someone else to take the decision for you because (GOSH! it might be politically sensitive ?)

Perhaps Mr Woods assumes this will be more of a joint decision and not his alone.

Seen what? The soggy rice-pudding grenade you launched ?

Quick game that one.

Dave Wood didn't even need to employ his whole arsenal  -  Shorty defeated
3 -0

Offline ZPW

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2007, 07:08:53 AM »
I am not politically motivated

Careful Karen - a cynic might ask why are you making what appears to be a very clearly motivated political comment about your work with youth teams and why are you having a pop at the Lib Dems regarding their 'youth plans'? (nothing to do with this thread!)

;)

This did disappoint me slightly.

Even though Karen and I have only ever had email contact I have spoken highly of her to everyone I have come across as someone interested in the community rather than in party political point-scoring.

I'm only young so I'm sure I've plenty of bubbles yet to burst before I'm through.

You need to be very careful David.
Karen-leakey-for-Queen has been adopted as the emblem of the Good Citizen.

Karen-Leakey-for-Queen has no guile.
She speaks as a person, she works  as hard as ( harder actually) as any for her community and has done so for many years. What she says is what she means.
She is standing in her ward in order to represent the people of her ward.
Do not slight her.
She is a Good Thing.

PS.
How can you  not have met Karen-Leakey-for-Queen?
Get out a bit more.

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2007, 11:24:05 AM »
Dave Wood says

One date (months and months ago) was suggested that I couldn't do.  My advice to Dale was to just organise the damn meetings, don't wait until everyone and his dog is free.  Just tell folk when it's happening and if it's important enough to them they'll come.              Nothing.

Oh and I'm flattered you think the decisions mine ;-)

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2007, 11:29:32 AM »
You need to be very careful David.
Karen-leakey-for-Queen has been adopted as the emblem of the Good Citizen.

Karen-Leakey-for-Queen has no guile.
She speaks as a person, she works  as hard as ( harder actually) as any for her community and has done so for many years. What she says is what she means.
She is standing in her ward in order to represent the people of her ward.
Do not slight her.
She is a Good Thing.

Glad to see little irony creeping in here, if not much.

PS.
How can you  not have met Karen-Leakey-for-Queen?
Get out a bit more.

You would have thought that with the amount of time this year I'd spent leafletting in Broadgreen I would have seen her at least once?

I did make the effort to seek an invitation to the Broagreen community council, along with Steve, but anyone involved with a political party who doesn't fall within their much heralded constitutional area is unceremoniously told where to go.

Offline kecl

• Broad Street Area Community Council
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2007, 02:28:00 PM »
Dave, let us go back a little bit and look at the reason you have not been able to attend any Broad Street Area Community Council meetings.

Karen contacted Stan Pajak in December of last year, suggesting that as Central and Eastcott wards are similar as far as problems etc are concerned, the 2 areas should work together to resolve common issues. This would seem a sensible thing to do between people who genuinely wish to see the whole of the Central area of Swindon improved.

From this conversation, Stan forwarded the last minutes of the Queens Park Community Council to Karen, and Karen sent Stan the Broad Street CC’s minutes. All very amicable and in the best interests of all.

Following this, Karen decided she would stand again in this years Council elections, and as such, not wanting to put both CC’s in a position where they could be accused of political bias, decided to put the connection between the CC’s on hold until after the elections.

In late January, you contacted Bob Wright as you were interested in the goings on of ‘Broadgreen’ CC and wondered if he had any past BSACC minutes, apparently you contacted Cllr. Wright as you couldn’t raise a response from our email, unfortunately no email was actually received by ourselves so we could not respond.

From this Cllr. Wright gave you Karen’s email address. She passed your request for confirmation if people outside of the BSACC area can attend our meetings and for copies of previous meeting minutes as you had a general interest in the area, to myself as Secretary of the BSACC.

I happily furnished you with Nov. 06, Dec 06 and Jan. 07’s minutes, as well as a run down of our constitutional area.

You made a request to attend our monthly meetings, and while our meetings are generally open to members of the local community and guests, I would ask the committee if it would be ok for you to attend.
You were then invited to attend as long as you understood that the BSACC is a non-political charitable organisation and as such cannot be used as a political platform.

Having had your invite, you then asked if you could bring along a colleague who was campaigning in our area, but would be passive observer.

This put the BSACC in an awkward position, as we could only assume that your colleague was campaigning on a political level, as if they lived within the area, they could attend as a resident without invite. We therefore had to withdraw our invitation to yourself to attend, as it could compromise the non-political nature of the Community Council.

I am very sorry you feel so aggrieved that in the end you were unable to attend our Community meetings, as you have pointed out you are quite young and it would seem you have a lot to learn about things. One big lesson you may find useful to learn is that a little truth and honesty gets you a long way.

Neither Karen or myself have political aspirations or political points to prove, we simply want the best for our area and Central as a whole. We have witnessed and been affected by the lack of care and input across the Ward for well over 2 decades.

It would be easy to walk away and let politicians with no heart in the ward, take things on and leave everything as it is, in decline, or what they feel is right for the Ward.
But both of us, as residents having found ourselves in a position we never courted or wanted, simply want what is best for people where ever they live and we will not go away.

Kevin Leakey
Secretary BSACC

http://community.webshots.com/user/bucket66   http://www.broadstreetcc.btik.com/ He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with

Offline DaveWood

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 03:12:20 PM »
I am very sorry you feel so aggrieved that in the end you were unable to attend our Community meetings, as you have pointed out you are quite young and it would seem you have a lot to learn about things. One big lesson you may find useful to learn is that a little truth and honesty gets you a long way.

Thank you for your voluminous reponse, Kevin.

Shame about the predjudice and accusations of dishonesty thrown in along the way, all quite nice apart from that.

Following this, Karen decided she would stand again in this years Council elections, and as such, not wanting to put both CC’s in a position where they could be accused of political bias, decided to put the connection between the CC’s on hold until after the elections.

A very fine idea.  Shame about the reference to the community council in the lastest Tory leaflet though.

Offline Jarvis

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 03:27:34 PM »
Might need to nip out for more popcorn  :popcorn:

Offline ZPW

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 03:54:58 PM »
Might need to nip out for more popcorn  :popcorn:

Nahh..

Kecl-for-consort has dealt with this.

I did tell you to be careful Mr Wood.
It is as a labour voting cynic that I assure you Karen-Leakey-for-Queen is A Good Thing.
I cannot, but cannot fathom why you fired this shot.
She is A Good Thing.

Offline James

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »
Er.
Interesting but...

Any survey details among these last few posts which I missed?

Lots of "not me govn'r" and "I did my bit", but not a lot of survey-type output though*.

Sigh.

Looks to me as if it has been kicked into the long grass, and everyone is busy searching for the ball in the car park.

James

(*I may have missed some though, I didn't read all of the longer posts...I may do later on this evening)

shorty

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Shame about the predjudice and accusations of dishonesty thrown in along the way, all quite nice apart from that.

Would you like to justify these comments ?

Further, has Dale Heenan not contacted you and your fellow Liberals to try and fix up a meeting to go through the responses ?

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2007, 07:19:41 PM »

???  What a very strange comment.

Offline ZPW

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »

Maybe she can see between their leggies.

shorty

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 08:03:20 PM »

As opposed to seeing over or around !