Author Topic: ID cards and asteroids ?  (Read 778 times)

Offline sasquatch

ID cards and asteroids ?
« on: December 18, 2006, 01:24:35 PM »
in response to a story in theregister about American scientists offering a $50,000 prize to the person who designs a system for tagging and tracking the potentially Earth-threatening asteroid, Apophis.

The asteroid is due to pass very close (astronomically speaking) to Earth in 2029. During this close encounter, its trajectory will be changed thanks to Earth's gravitational influence. There is a chance, albeit small, that it could be put on a path to collide with us in 2036.

full stoy herehttp://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/14/asteroids_competition/

one entertaing reader wrote the following :-

The answer to the asteroid problem is simple - get the UK Government to issue it with an RFID enabled National Identity card/passport and not only will we know when it's near by due to the RFID signal - it will be prevented from colliding with earth as the master database will simply have the "No Entry" flag set. It must be that simple; after all the ID card will solve all crime, terrorism, antisocial behaviour, illegal immigration - asteroid collision is simply "feature creep". Or am I falling for the government's propaganda!

Yours cynically, Jon

"I have often been called a Nazi, and, although it is unfair, I don't let it bother me. I don't let it bother me for one simple reason. No one has eve