Author Topic: First Coate Now The Lawns  (Read 1374 times)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
First Coate Now The Lawns
« on: March 23, 2016, 09:52:21 PM »
Nothing's sacred

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/14379237.Could_part_of_Lawns__sunken_gardens_become_80_space_car_park_/

Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: First Coate Now The Lawns
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »
Here's the response from one of the developers on the Adver website, seems to tell a slightly tale to what has been presented in the article

I would like to clarify a couple of matters.

There is absolutely no intention of placing a car park on the abandoned Italian sunken garden. In fact completely the opposite, as consideration would be given towards fully restoring this heritage asset. In doing so perhaps creating another reason to visit the Lawns.

All that is happening right now is an assessment of the parking requirements for old town and the possible options. As Toby Robson rightly says there are pros and cons with all options. However "dipping toes in water to establish public reaction" on just one of the options is premature until the evaluation work is complete and the final development proposals are available for consultation. Only then will the public be able to make informed judgment.

This is not the thin edge of the wedge Stan. We are only considering some well designed parking spaces, not building housing on this lovely green space. Maybe this might encourage greater recreational use of the Lawns and more visitors to old town.

Steve Rosier
Swindon Corn Exchange Limited

They clearly need parking and I can't help but wonder what is going to happen to the horrid Masonic Lodge?  They could demolish that and replace it with a car park.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 11:54:14 AM »
It is exceptional that the developer has made the effort to fully engage with people.
I'm hoping that an alternative will be found so that no encroaching on Lawns is necessary.

I suppose it remains to be seen if further discussion will enable the best plan, or wether this is just a done deal
Proud to be gone

Offline Georgie

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:11:48 AM »
Engaging and agreeing on what to fit. It will be good for everyone.

Offline Yoyanako

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 11:54:54 AM »
This is the information I'm looking for now.