Author Topic: PSPO in force as of today - questions relating to it  (Read 1624 times)

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
PSPO in force as of today - questions relating to it
« on: February 29, 2016, 08:40:06 PM »
I was checking through the local headlines on BBC News, when I came across that as of today, a PSPO was now being employed in Swindon's town centre. This has raised several questions which I would like to get people's opinions from on here.

3. 1: This section relates to dogs on leads. Doubt there is much change in practice to what was before here.

2: Now onto the issue of alcohol and street drinking, the act says "Any person is prohibited from, at any time, consuming alcohol or having an open alcohol container, unless subject to exemptions listed in Appendix Two below". As of before, there was a by-law which gave the police the right to confiscate alcohol if a person was consuming it antisocially. Since the new one does not mention social street drinking as an exemption, does this new clause ban street drinking all together or not?

3: "Any person is prohibited from, at any time, placing himself in a position to receive alms for a continuing period". This is most likely trying to crack down on fraud, although does leave the door open to asking if unlicensed busking counts as begging (which the order does not mention).

4: "Any person is prohibited from, at any time, peddling/trading goods without the written permission of the authority, even if licensed". But surely one either needs a licence to trade, or permission, but not both? Is this an attempt to cash in more money for the council, or something else?

5: In short, people are now banned from drawing chalk on pavements, which I have no questions relating to.

6: Any person is prohibited from, at any time, using a skateboard or similar in a way that may damage property or cause nuisance or annoyance". Does this mean a complete ban on skateboarding, or only in pedestrian areas, given the clause?

7: The final issue is on the collection of charity money, which comes to me as being no different to the ban on constant begging.

Finally, may I ask the question why SBC appears to have come over as being more paranoid about crime, antisocial behaviour and misconduct, than most other councils, despite the fact that the area has no more crime than the national average (possibly slightly less)? For its size, the town has one of the largest BCRPs (SCRIP/Daysafe/Nightsafe), with upwards of 180 members, according to the information I could find. The council is also among the top few who have issued the most school absence fines compared with population (2013-14), and are among the first 20 local authorities to introduce this public space protection order. Why is this?

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
Re: PSPO in force as of today - questions relating to it
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »
What is typical of SBC is that they've ignored parts of the consultation and done what they wanted anyway.

The majority of respondents didn't want a ban on street trading and chalking the pavements.

It's such a well drawn up order that it appears to be quite legal to walk down one side of Commercial Road beer in hand but not the other.

What more do you expect from the Borough Clownschool.

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2016, 06:18:39 PM »
The ban on chalking is likely a result of one or two people that have been causing a nuisance. Still, there are other ways over than a PSPO to overcome this. Also, if the regular chalkers are banned from chalking in the centre, they're likely to start up business at another site, such as the West Swindon Centre or Orbital, neither of which are affected, unless future amendments are made. As for the Commercial Road issue, it seems that that it happens to be along the boundary of the restrictions. Either have the restrictions run out just before or after would be better, although in the current state I doubt there is likely to be much enforcement along the edge of the boundary - it would just allow the police the right to do so.

Offline Midlander

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
I don't think it's just the chalkers that have caused this, I've noticed it's not as easy to walk from Regent Circus to Fleet Street without being interrupted anymore. Walk down Regent Street, you meet charity collectors and claims companies, the charity collectors usually stand both sides.
On Canal Walk you meet more charity collectors, plus the religious fanatics.
Finally Bridge Street you meet the beggars and alcoholics.
It's hardly surprising that something like this has happened.