Author Topic: Designated areas (no street drinking)  (Read 1284 times)

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
Designated areas (no street drinking)
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:17:10 PM »
I just thought today over where the areas are in Swindon where street drinking is not allowed. I believe there may be a sign in The Parade, not sure where this ban extends to, though. Is it just that street, the town centre, or the whole council area? I've not seen any signs elsewhere.

Also, if such a ban exists in some places of Swindon (where I never previously thought was a likely subject), do most other towns have similar bans in some areas from your experience, and how many have a total ban (as opposed to a designated area)?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Designated areas (no street drinking)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »
A lot of towns seem to have designated areas - pretty sure Devizes has a few. I guess it depends on the provisions of bylaws. I suspect a blanket ban would be difficult to justify, though I suppose there would be arguments on either side as to whether it would make policing and enforcement easier.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:32:11 PM »
I recall seeing a sign when driving through Devizes once. Still it doesn't seem to be the case in towns down here to the extent in Northern Ireland and Scotland. Virtually every settlement I went to in either of these appeared to be designated, not just crime-prone areas and centres. Are these prohibitions more common in these, or simply better signed?

Also, if a town was to "designate" an area, would signs be needed to enforce a ban!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
Hmmm - I'm not sure we actually have a widespread public drinking problem - it tends to be localised and centres around particular places - and even then, usually only becomes a problem if it involves young people. I don't see a problem with any family having a picnic in one of our parks opening a bottle of wine or beer, so I'm not sure I'd agree with a blanket ban. Local prohibition in existing/potential hot-spots seems enough to me.

Most of our problems with drink from my experience comes from people getting tanked up before going out - and then from what remains of Swindon's pseudo club scene and the utterly wasted high-volume meander/puke/urination/fight route home.

What would solve 90% of our issues I suggest would be proper enforcement of the licencing rules which state that alcohol must not be served to an already inebriated person.

It seems a shame as well as an indictment of the current attitude to licensing that those in control of enforcement would appear to sooner spend their time setting traps in order to fine pubs for serving alcohol to under-age teens than they do to serving people already drunk (who are almost inevitably more likely to be those who go on to injure themselves, others or behave anti-socially.)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:33:37 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think the ban on drinking in certain public places was introduced to target alcoholics who used to hang around the town centre and bus station rather than the young drinkers who preload before going to the pubs and clubs.

I suspect that it was introduced to appease the town centre management and improve the image of the town centre more than anything else.

If the signs aren't clear, it might be because they had a high profile purge on the drinkers and let the signs and enforcement slip once the drinkers got the message.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think the ban on drinking in certain public places was introduced to target alcoholics who used to hang around the town centre and bus station rather than the young drinkers who preload before going to the pubs and clubs.

I suspect that it was introduced to appease the town centre management and improve the image of the town centre more than anything else.

If the signs aren't clear, it might be because they had a high profile purge on the drinkers and let the signs and enforcement slip once the drinkers got the message.

Totally agree