Author Topic: Haydon Wick Parish Council  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
Haydon Wick Parish Council
« on: May 27, 2015, 08:25:06 PM »
Looks like Haydon Wick Parish Council are getting ideas above their station:-

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/12975129.Council_votes_to_keep_name_and_remain_a_parish/

It seems inconceivable that they would even consider this without consulting the residents. We have just had an election and there was no mention of this proposal. John Stooke has lost my vote at the next parish election.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Haydon Wick Parish Council
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:45:04 PM »
That just makes me more convinced that there should be no urban parish councils (and to be honest some of the rural ones strike me as a bit iffy).

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:20:00 PM »
We have just had an election and there was no mention of this proposal. John Stooke has lost my vote at the next parish election.

It was mentioned by Stooke in the council's meeting in November 2014 (689. CHANGE OF COUNCIL NAME) and then put forward by Stooke as a motion in their meeting in January 2015 (715. CHANGE OF COUNCIL NAME) and each time it was agreed they would wait until after the May election.

They did however agree that although the official name will remain "Haydon Wick Parish Council" they will use the name "Haydon Wick Council".

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:49:20 AM »
Seeing as how year on year the Parish Boundary has been stretched, no doubt Mr Stooke felt that those new parishioners might want to be recognised in a name amendment.  Can't see any of the present councillors particularly wanting to have a complete change, being local and most of them for a long time.

I think maybe we can put the rest down to Adver reporting.

And in deciding a new name, it would almost certainly have been consulted upon.

Why would anyone want to take away another level of local democracy? 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »
And in deciding a new name, it would almost certainly have been consulted upon.

I was more concerned about the suggestion that there could be a change of designation or status. The name isn't that important, although it would have no doubt come at cost due to rebranding and changes to vehicle livery etc.

Why would anyone want to take away another level of local democracy?

Parish councils are democratic in principle, but less so in practice. Do voters actually know anything about the councillors putting themselves forward, A council employee advised me that most voters just tick the first 7 names on the ballot sheet as they don't know who they are voting for.

I am not really sure why we need Parish Councils. We have 3 ward members, isn't that enough. An extra layer of democracy or an extra layer of bureaucracy?

My main concern was that to my knowledge, Mr Stooke didn't mention this in his election profile. It might have been buried in old minutes, but why not bring it to the public's attention and seek their opinion?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
It was mentioned by Stooke in the council's meeting in November 2014 (689. CHANGE OF COUNCIL NAME) and then put forward by Stooke as a motion in their meeting in January 2015 (715. CHANGE OF COUNCIL NAME) and each time it was agreed they would wait until after the May election.

Donian.

Thanks for the link. The various minutes make an interesting read. For example, they show that HWPC supported the transfer of the Haydon Centre to GLL, when I thought the Adver had reported that were against.

I will keep an eye on the website now that I know where it is.

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 02:10:48 PM »
The name isn't that important, although it would have no doubt come at cost due to rebranding and changes to vehicle livery etc.

As I said earlier the name isn't going to officially change but they are rebranding to "Haydon Wick Council". I understand litter picking jackets etc have already been ordered with this new livery. When they publish the minutes we'll know more - although don't hold your breath as the latest minutes on the website are from January!

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 02:34:23 PM »
Spunky Quote:  Parish councils are democratic in principle, but less so in practice. Do voters actually know anything about the councillors putting themselves forward, A council employee advised me that most voters just tick the first 7 names on the ballot sheet as they don't know who they are voting for.

Had to chuckle at this one, don't most of us do that when we are invite to elect the new board for our  building society etc? 

A council employee might well say that but it doesn't mean it's right, perhaps they vote for the first seven they know, and they do vote for the first seven on the list, why bother to vote at all.  Much the same as voting for the councillor because of the party rather than the person. 

Government keeps promising more 'bubble up' and less 'top down'  so much the better if there are MORE locally elected representatives to ask and communicate with the rest.

And ref. the name change, now I see why they dropped the 'Parish' bit - they don't have to pay to print the P_A_R_I_S_H on all their tackle.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)