Author Topic: Trees cut down at North Swindon Orbital Centre?  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Trees cut down at North Swindon Orbital Centre?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »
I completely agree Mr Spunx.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2015, 11:06:06 AM »
Looks like the plans were well published back in November.

http://www.justintomlinson.com/news/3272-justin-toby-welcome-investment-in-northern-orbital-shopping-park

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11604116.Revamp_for_Orbital_Retail_Park/

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2015, 04:52:46 PM »
Plans were published then, but not the detail. 

I should have gone to see the plans, but know what, I'm not that interested in extra cash machines or changing rooms.

Oh yes, but I am interested in trees and the promises made by SBC about them! 

And the message it sends - chopping down dozens of them to make wider car parking spaces?

Now if you want squatty car parking spaces, try Tesco - and no trees to speak of.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »

And the message it sends - chopping down dozens of them to make wider car parking spaces?

Now if you want squatty car parking spaces, try Tesco - and no trees to speak of.

Sainsburys at Bridgemead re-vamped their car park and not only increased the gaps between car parking spaces but made the area safer for pedestrians too :)

I don't shop regularly at the Orbital but do ride through it quite a lot.  I doubt many other visitors are aware that a (very poorly marked) cycle lane runs the full length of the North Facing shop frontage.

I'm hoping that a re-vamp will address this because, despite riding at walking pace along it, it's surprising how many pedestrian visitors will berate cyclists for riding (considerately) on a cycle path :)

I'm sort of formulating a 'personal space:aggression bias' theory as I try to understand and explain a lot of the behaviour I see in others.  It goes something like this:

'Whether walking or driving, everywhere within a 50' radius of my person is my personal space. It is mine, I own it and I will aggressively defend that space even when it is my movement towards something or someone else which brings that person or object into my personal space. 

If something approaches my personal space from behind I will move faster to stay ahead of it.

If something crosses my path, but is a considerable distance ahead of my personal space, I will increase my velocity in order to maximise my chances of a 'near miss', after which I can immediately and aggressively defend my personal space.

Other people do not have their own 'personal spaces', they are all temporarily occupying my space.  I will enter any of 'my' spaces at any time I choose, but especially so at roundabouts, junctions and motorway exits where I have priority....

And so on :)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »
Other people do not have their own 'personal spaces', they are all temporarily occupying my space.

And here was me thinking that shared space was the future !!  ;D

Offline Muggins

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 08:43:57 AM »
That 'cycle Route', Geoff, is the old Blunsdon Road (preserved). If you mean the one that runs at the side of ASDA.  From Manor Farm pub to the Blunsdon Arms, with the Toby over the hedge across the new road to it's right. 

The other runs from Mouldon Hill to the Manor Farm crossing the very busy road just off the roundabout there and on into the other bit of Blundson Road, Pond Street etc. 

Although they are called Cycle Routes, they are in fact 'shared space'! Apart from where they go through the Nature Reserve they are all built to county class cycle path standards with widths of 3 metres, which is supposed to be wide enough to allow each to pass the other without much problem.  Even the hedgerows they pass through are supposed to be 7 metres wide, so you can see better what's coming!

Thing is if everybody insisted on having a large 'personal space' no one would get anywhere. What I don't like is people that don't acknowledge another's existence when on the prowl. Sort of creepy.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)