Author Topic: Trees cut down at North Swindon Orbital Centre?  (Read 7312 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Trees cut down at North Swindon Orbital Centre?
« on: May 13, 2015, 10:26:42 AM »

As I was riding through the Orbital centre ealy this morning I noticed that all the trees in the rear car park have been cut down:

Can anyone shed any light ?

Offline Donian

• Hello !
Re: Trees cut down at North Swindon Orbital Centre?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
http://pa.swindon.gov.uk/publicaccess/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=NECRSQPT97000

It's not as if they were 100 year old oaks. It's good that they are not letting The Orbital go all stale.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
There was an article about this in yesterday's Adver. It doesn't give much detail though:-

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/12945836.Work_gets_under_way_on_shopping_centre_upgrade/

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »
No idea - but I too noticed a couple cut off at waist height near the Costa shop. Though it odd - thinking it was only the two.  But then there is usually a lout or two with a sharp knife and we have a phantom Pruner in the orchard.

Donian - they may not be 100 years old but they were there to replace trees taken out when they built the place they are possibly the only trees in Northern development that haven't got a TPO on them.   Frankly at this stage of the Northern Orb  shopping centre, obviously obsolescence was built,  in the paint is hardly dry from the development being built. 

I suspect the trees have to come out for someone's vanity.

Geoff, that wasn't you sat on the seat in 7F's, bike propped up, glass of something beigy looking, reading a book, at 2pm today then?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 08:17:21 PM »
Donian - they may not be 100 years old but they were there to replace trees taken out when they built the place

Isn't this kind of thing rather typical of the panning double-cant for which SBC has become justly infamous...?

>:(
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:51:33 PM »
Geoff, that wasn't you sat on the seat in 7F's, bike propped up, glass of something beigy looking, reading a book, at 2pm today then?

Nope :)

Ben and I rode North of Penhill at about 06.15hrs though.  I leapt out of bed at 04.30, snagged a quick cuppa then rode over to South Marston and rode back with him from his works.

Probably do the same in the morning but show him the 7F's ride home :)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »
A bit more info about what they are up to http://www.orbitalshoppingpark.co.uk/news-events/were-having-makeover

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 08:15:05 AM »
Geoff, you might not find it quite so pleasant today - rain and all that! Still itds aslweays a bit warmer down there.

Donian - they may not be 100 years old but they were there to replace trees taken out when they built the place

Isn't this kind of thing rather typical of the panning double-cant for which SBC has become justly infamous...?

>:(

Yes, it is Tobes.   It seems trees have become part of the designer pack and moved around just like pot plants *(The Light Dawns!!!)* in an inside design.  It is not remembered they are living things, with other living things on, in above them.  I've just figured that maybe the two I saw, have become a nuisance to the shops there, leaf drop and all that.

As to the light dawning,*!!!* perhaps we are going to have more of the same at Crossroads, plant them in pots and then you can move them around.

My feeling is that if you have to change a thing radically, must be less that 20 years after it was built, that change was built in. If so don't put in living things just because they look nice, seems no attempt was made to dig them out and transplant.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 10:49:27 AM »
Frankly at this stage of the Northern Orb  shopping centre, obviously obsolescence was built,  in the paint is hardly dry from the development being built. 

I suspect the trees have to come out for someone's vanity.

If you read the planning application it was because the trees were dying. With regards to the "paint is hardly dry" comment I would question if you know much about the Northern Community - residents have been asking the local councillors to get British Land to regenerate The Orbital for years.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 11:33:40 AM »
ALL the trees were dying?  ;D

Yeah, that sounds credible - more than 20 young trees, all 'dying' of some weird mystery disease (but not actually yet dead - until chopped off at ground level of course. That definatey tends to kill them)

TBH, I'm not too bothered one way or the other, as long as people act honestly and openly.

So, trees 'dying' - or in the way / an inconvenience? Let me stroke my beard whilst I ponder that...  :coolsmiley:

At the end of the day, if they were planted to replace trees cut down as part of the original planning terms, I'm sure no one will mind as long as they are replaced.

Donian, as you're close enough to this project to know that these trees were all suffering from the deadly North Algerian Bark Rot, presumably you also know whether trees are being planted elsewhere to replace them...?  :wink:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »
Donian, as you're close enough to this project to know that these trees were all suffering from the deadly North Algerian Bark Rot, presumably you also know whether trees are being planted elsewhere to replace them...?  :wink:

I have nothing to do with the project - I just read the planning application with an independent report on the dying trees :) I have heard locally that they are replacing them 2 for 1 but I haven't seen any evidence in the planning application to support this. I did just skim it though!

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 12:55:52 PM »
Although I live a 5 minute walk from the Orbital, I have only been there twice in 18 months as parking is a nightmare. I can understand why improvements have been requested by customers.

To put this into perspective, these are not mighty oaks which have been home to generations of wildlife. They are few small trees planted to a regimented grid pattern in a car park. These trees were always going to be restricted in growth by the tree grilles/pits.

If they replace them with an equivalent or greater number of trees in a group setting it will surely be an improvement for both customers and wildlife. I am no expert, but I would have thought that birds are more likely to nest in a clump of dense sheltered vegetation compared with a small single tree in an open car park exposed to wind, rain and predators.

Also, let's not forgot that the evil developer is responding to customer feedback. I thought listening to the public was a good thing.

We don't know if the developer is planning to replace the trees or not. We are just speculating that he won't. Why does that speculation always have to be negative? Perhaps we are dealing with a kind benevolent developer who wants to make the world a better place !!!!!  :hippy:

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 02:02:05 PM »
The spirit of Python lives on!  :)

"All I said was..."

As I was riding through the Orbital centre ealy this morning I noticed that all the trees in the rear car park have been cut down:

Can anyone shed any light ?

I genuinely was just wondering what was happening, (not embarking on a tree-hugging), but sometimes I forget that light being shed will also invoke a pouring-forth of opinion :) :) :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
Spunky Quote:  "Perhaps we are dealing with a kind benevolent developer who wants to make the world a better place"

Haahahahahhaha ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks for that's  Spunky, just what I need on a wet wash out day.  Hhahahhhaha  :smitten:
To be honest I would agree with you about the trees, they should never have been put there in the first place. No doubt it was to make the place look 'nice'.  I doubt they will replace 2 for one there and they can't put back however many years growth was on them. But suspect that they were 'screwed up' trees in the first place some sort of genetic freaks that remained smaller than they were supposed to grow.  And of course at the time SBC had an obligation to the Community Forest thing to provide more habitat and green amenity.

Geoff, when did you ever tap keyboard without expecting it to cause discussion and/or outrage?

Donian: If those trees were dying I'll eat my hat, either way you can bet your life they were not committing suicide. 

You are very well informed about Northern community?  And as that Centre is used by people from all over it's not just theirs. The place can't be more that 20 years old, so if they were, it was built to a very poor spec.  I believe when it was built it was applauded as the development of the century, no one said it would be partially rebuilt this soon.  Shame really because it had only just begun to look like the Artists impression given at the time. Yesterday I was asked by an Australian couple  to show them where Walmart was! (Stood outside of it) And the bus stop to town.  Maybe there should be a tourist centre there.

So maybe when planning these things in the future - put up a basic box big enough, then after 5/10 years ask the community what they want doing with the looks of it.  Maybe one big centre wasn't enough!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
If they replace them with an equivalent or greater number of trees in a group setting it will surely be an improvement for both customers and wildlife.

Couldn't agree more.... If they are.

Also, let's not forgot that the evil developer is responding to customer feedback.

What customers wanted to see the trees removed? Beavers? Lumberjacks? Arboraphobes? Ent fearing orcs from Penhill? ;D

I thought listening to the public was a good thing.

Hehehe, well generally speaking it is...but... I've never known anyone ask for trees in a car park to be removed. That would seem an unlikely request to me at least.

For this to count as significant customer feedback, it must have involved more than one or two people. I suspect that this is actually more cant from the developer - ie. customers have said something like 'we want wider bays', so to do this, they're cutting down the trees to make 'em bigger. Not a case of tree hating customers offended by leaves or the odd spot of bird poo.

I'm no tree hugger either - and at the end of the day, I guess they belong to whoever manages the car park, so its their call. Just a shame however to see any tree simply chopped down for the sake of it - and a broken promise if they were planted as part of a planning compromise to retain some greenery and local flora.

Geoff, when did you ever tap keyboard without expecting it to cause discussion and/or outrage?

Geoff lights blue touch paper and cycles off with a smile on his face...?  ;D

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 04:33:27 PM »

Well, let me think........

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
....this time!

I genuinely didn't have a touchpaper (Tobes :) ) or other motive in mind except that I'd ridden through a few days before and there were trees...and a few days later there weren't :)

Perhaps I should wander into the Conservative/Liberal/Labour club(s) and see if any of them spontaneously burst into flames on seeing me?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 04:41:27 PM »
Perhaps I should wander into the Conservative/Liberal/Labour club(s) and see if any of them spontaneously burst into flames on seeing me?

... Isn't that EXACTLY what happens when you do...?! (in which case, you have work to do!  :wink: )

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 05:19:05 PM »

... Isn't that EXACTLY what happens when you do...?! (in which case, you have work to do!  :wink: )

Metaphorically speaking yes.  Sometimes with anger and aggression, (that's always fun), but more often a sort of slow, internalised, shameful burning seems to take place.  A lot of them know that they have done, and continue to do wrong, but go along with the herd anyway.  Bumping into people who aren't afraid to ask "Why did you do that?" (holding them personally accountable for their actions, irregardless of the ballot box result), is deeply unpleasant for many of them.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
For this to count as significant customer feedback, it must have involved more than one or two people. I suspect that this is actually more cant from the developer - ie. customers have said something like 'we want wider bays', so to do this, they're cutting down the trees to make 'em bigger. Not a case of tree hating customers offended by leaves or the odd spot of bird poo.

I agree that the comments were likely to be about the size of parking bays or the layout, but if you have a regimented grid pattern of trees the only way to alter the layout is to cut the trees down.

The trees are spaced at approximately 4.8m intervals corresponding with the width of two standard 2.4m parking bays. You can't widen the spaces without removing the trees. The tree grilles also encroach in the parking bays. The car park layout might have acceptable at the time, but current best practice would require segregated pedestrian footpaths between the parking bays - right where the trees are.

I don't know what the plans are but I am prepared to give the developer the benefit of the doubt. After all, if developers are so obsessed with profit above all else, he isn't going to spend good money on a whim. I am sure there is a good reason.