Author Topic: Former Costa Coffee above/beside Vodaphone in town centre  (Read 2078 times)

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
Former Costa Coffee above/beside Vodaphone in town centre
« on: May 12, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »
It never occurred to me until today that there used to be a Costa Coffee that has now closed in the town centre. I was initially looking through some public files on a shared network today, when I found some digital images dated 29/04/03. Any cars seen suggested this time, as did the state of plants hint late April, so I must assume that it must only be right.

What was most interesting was seeing a Costa store, accessed off of Bridge Street (opposite the them BHS). It appeared as if it may have had seating upstairs, extending over Vodaphone, but could somebody who has more knowledge of early 2000's Swindon confirm this? Does anyone have any idea when it first opened or shut? The Costa in an outside Brunel Centre unit came around October 2008, but I never recall seeing this Costa beforehand, so I must guess that the centre was vacant from the chain for a while, or am I just remembering wrong?

I only moved to Swindon in 2004 (a year after these were taken), and so need the help of someone who remembers better  :) . I also seem to have a brief memory of there being 3 GAME stores at one stage. Was this the case, or just two?

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Former Costa Coffee above/beside Vodaphone in town centre
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:13 AM »
Don't have any recollection of there being a costa above the vodafone store, I guess that must have been roughly when that block of shops first opened.  If it was above the store then the entrance would have been pretty well hidden which could be why I don't remember it.

As for Game, I think there was one on Regent St, one on Havelock Sq and there was certainly a computer games type outlet in Debenhams.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »
I vaguely recall there being a Costa above where Vodafone is now, though I don't think it was a Vodafone shop at that time.    I don't think the coffee shop lasted very long though as I recall commenting to someone, after it had gone, that I was surprised they invested all that money in the shop and fittings only to close a relatively short time later.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
If I remember rightly, the corner plot that is the vodaphone shop used to be a paper/cigarette  shop type kiosk, long time ago mind. 

Can't remember the name Costa being around in those days at all - well, not in Swindon.

BHS had a jolly good café upstairs though and loo's so it got used quite a lot. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
If I remember rightly, the corner plot that is the vodaphone shop used to be a paper/cigarette  shop type kiosk, long time ago mind. 

Can't remember the name Costa being around in those days at all - well, not in Swindon.

My memory is that the paper kiosk was  diagonally opposite (and at various times since has been an Opticians and a independent mobile shop).

I've no recollection of the Costa though - this must have been around the time I first worked in Swindon, and the curse at the time was none of the coffee shops were in central Swindon.

Moley

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 07:30:48 PM »

My memory is that the paper kiosk was  diagonally opposite (and at various times since has been an Opticians and a independent mobile shop).

I've no recollection of the Costa though - this must have been around the time I first worked in Swindon, and the curse at the time was none of the coffee shops were in central Swindon.

Moley

NSS Newsagents if memory serves me correctly

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:17:37 PM »
I vaguely recall there being a Costa above where Vodafone is now, though I don't think it was a Vodafone shop at that time.    I don't think the coffee shop lasted very long though as I recall commenting to someone, after it had gone, that I was surprised they invested all that money in the shop and fittings only to close a relatively short time later.

There's definitely a Costa and Vodaphone operating alongside one another in the photos that I saw. Also, what year did these flats open? I guess some time in the late 90s or early 2000s, but don't know exactly when.

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 10:29:08 PM »
I think there was a third GAME concession in Debenhams. However I may instead be thinking of where Gamestation is. Did this ever used to have GAME branding or not?