Author Topic: Coate Development - A.K.A 'Badbury Park'  (Read 14779 times)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: Coate Development - A.K.A 'Badbury Park'
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 02:58:13 PM »
Nice map Geoff! Look south of South Marston airfield and east of Swindon and you will see, "Nidum (Roman Station)". 

Now never mind Brunel; see what the Roman's did for us! The term cannot be "Diddly-dum" it must have be "Didni-dum". :spin:
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 09:11:52 PM »
Nice map Geoff! Look south of South Marston airfield and east of Swindon and you will see, "Nidum (Roman Station)". 

Now never mind Brunel; see what the Roman's did for us! The term cannot be "Diddly-dum" it must have be "Didni-dum". :spin:

Pretty sure you can see the outlines of the Nidum Roman station on google earth.  (on the other side of Ermin Street from Redlands Airfield and 2 fields North).

I've forgotten what Cllr Heenans '3 villages' plan looks like, but I hope the development doesn't obliterate what's left. 

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:36 PM »
Pretty sure you can see the outlines of the Nidum Roman station on google earth.  (on the other side of Ermin Street from Redlands Airfield and 2 fields North).

Bing Maps allow you to toggle between road map, aerial photo and OS maps.

If you compare the 1878 OS plan with the modern one, you can triangulate between Nythe Farm, Lotmead Farm and Wanborough House and then switch to aerial photos.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=MMREDR

Just tried the link above. Unfortunately it zooms out from where I was looking.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
Try this link and then select 'Earth' in the bottom left corner of the screen :)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.559646,-1.7141426,204m/data=!3m1!1e3

The map marks the site as a Roman Station but it's actually the remains of the Roman town Durocornovium

I feel a bit of a berk for not making the connection because I, as a child, was trooped around many Roman sites in Britain by my Father who was something of a Roman nut and I have a strong feeling that Durocornovium is a name I remember.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2015, 07:51:07 AM »
It looks like something extends into the field to the North West of the obvious signs as well!
What's it all about?

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 08:13:06 PM »

I'm not sure what others will think but it seems to me that the site of the GWH is closer to Commonhead than Coate, and that 'Badbury Park' is a reasonable name-addition to Badbury and Badbury Wick.

I'd still like to see a Swindon map with more detail though.

'Commonhead' has existed as a cross-road on maps for hundreds of years. No one has ever questioned that the hospital is located next to Commonhead, but the main bulk of housing is at Coate and Badbury Wick. It is 'Coate' that is being wiped off the map.

The photo of the for sale sign down Dayhouse Lane is interesting to see. Despite the fact that I now live in Norfolk, I can't help but keep an eye on any news as 'Coate' was my obsession for 30 years. It looks like the new gate does lead to the land that has permitted employment use. Part of it is an old landfill site (i.e. the old clay pits and Badbury brick works) and that is supposed to be used as a sports park. This was part of the land offered to the University of Bath for buildings by the developers knowing full well what a liability the land was!!!

Butcher and Hills own the land that was used for historic landfill/landraise.  The Environment Agency provided me with a map of the closed landfill site at Badbury Brickworks covering 10 hectares and the following data .  There has been historic use of the land for fill since 1930.  A waste disposal licence was issued to Hills on 22 April 1977 for landfill of 30,000 cubic metres of commercial and industrial waste [that included difficult and special wastes]. The licence was surrendered on 26 March 1986.  There is no record of exact site boundaries and there are no monitoring reports.  The geology is alluvial deposits overlying gault clay, greensand and kimmeridge clay.  This may help contain any migration of possible contaminants.  However, the Environment Agency has informed me that a small area is underlain with a major aquifer and that the integrity of the clay pit is breached in places.  Moreover they are concerned that any piles driven into the area for building work might breach the clay and allow migration of pollutants off-site. The developers undertook some analysis of the land-filled area that reveals the presence of asbestos, polyaromatic hydrocarbons and boron whilst the area is actively “gassing”.  Made up land has been found around 10m deep.  The constraints map provided by the Swindon Gateway Consortium suggests that the landfill area was larger – about 17 ha.   

Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »
Very interesting info Jean, I do recall the site being owned by Hills once now that you mention it.

Had a quick look at the Environment Agency maps and it certainly does show-up as former landfill.  Unfortunately I can't post a direct link to the map but searching for Badbury Wick at http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/37829.aspx takes you there.

Explains a lot really, like why developers never proposed building houses there.

Offline Jean

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2015, 08:07:54 AM »
Very interesting info Jean, I do recall the site being owned by Hills once now that you mention it.

Had a quick look at the Environment Agency maps and it certainly does show-up as former landfill.  Unfortunately I can't post a direct link to the map but searching for Badbury Wick at http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/wiyby/37829.aspx takes you there.

Explains a lot really, like why developers never proposed building houses there.

It looks like the Environment Agency has now officially increased the area mapped as brickworks/landfill. I think it is Mr Butcher's land (used also for landfill) that was outside the original proposed development area.

I don't know if the following images will be readable, but I attach the 2011 masterplan for the Coate development and an earlier one. Thinking back, I've got it wrong. The entire landfill area was taken out of the permitted development because Swindon Council didn't want to be lumbered with being responsible for the Sports Field (the developers were going to give them the land!) or should I say, managing a leaky landfill site! I hope that this is correct. 

www.talkswindon.org/pictures/coate/Masterplan%20June%202011.pdf

Administrator Comment Attached image and pdf moved to permanent server directory

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:08:56 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 10:47:15 AM »
Here's a screen grab of the EA map.

Administrator Comment Attached image added to permanent server directory
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:08:11 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Jean

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
That is very handy, Gorgon. Good to be able to see the developers map and that of the Environment Agency next to each other.

I remember Mike Spry telling me about an event he attended in 2003. It was at the Swindon Mayor’s Banquet at the Blunsdon House Hotel. Mike challenged the developer when he referred to the Coate area as “a brownfield site”.  Speaking from the top table, the developer told an invited audience that he had spotted the Coate area from his helicopter as he flew up the M4 and decided that it was ripe for development.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 02:01:29 PM »
Thanks for attaching those maps,  I'll add them to a permanent location on the TS server :)

I thought I was at least as, (slightly more than actually),  'reasonably aware' as the average punter in Swindon, but I don't think I've ever laid eyes on the master plan before  ???