Community, Environment & Leisure
> Leisure: Walking, Running, Cycling, Riding, Flying & Driving

2015 British Heart Foundation London To Brighton Cyle Ride

(1/5) > >>

Geoff Reid:
This year Tig and I had planned to ride the London Night Rider 100km to raise funds for Cancer Research but I seem to have organised a works team entry into the British Heart Foundations 40th Anniversary London To Brighton Cycle Ride instead.  We can't do both events this year so we'll try to do the Nightrider event in 2016 instead.

As it stands then:  On the 21st of June 2015 Tig and I, plus ten other team mates will be on Clapham Common alongside an estimated 28,000 cyclists who will also ride the 54 miles from London to Brighton.

We'll be posting pictures and videos, and regular updates of how our training and fundraising is going - we set ourselves a fairly modest-but-achievable fundraising target of £500 which we're hoping we'll meet with donations from friends, work colleagues, Facebook Friends and people we might never meet personally, but who are interested in and willing to support us :)

We have a 'Just Giving' page: https://www.justgiving.com/Geoff-and-Rachael-Reid/

Our Just Giving page entry says:

--- Quote ---Thanks for visiting our JustGiving page.

We're cycling from London to Brighton in the British Heart Foundations' 40th Anniversary London To Brighton Ride.

Why?, because Margaret Reid, (Geoffs Mother), and Anne Watkins, (Rachael's Nan), both suffered from heart disease and related problems.

Anne survived a massive heart attack in 1988 and lived with the effects until she passed on in January of this year.

Margaret suffered from poor cardiac health for several years before a  heart attack killed her, whilst visiting her doctor, in 1998.

Heart problems have a devastating effect on the sufferer and their families. Today, if you suffer a cardiac arrest out of hospital in the UK, you have less than a one in ten chance of surviving. The British Heart Foundation is leading the fight to change this and create a Nation of Lifesavers.    We want to help them.

Rachael & I stopped smoking a couple of years ago, replacing the demon weed with walking and cycling. Cycling gives both of us great pleasure and it seems apt that we're able to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation whilst doing what we enjoy.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the British Heart Foundation.

It’s the most efficient way to donate – it saves you time and also cuts costs for the charity.

From the bottom of our hearts, (see what I did there?), thank you for your donation.   Geoff & Rachael
--- End quote ---

We're really looking forward to doing this ride. I'm probably slightly less apprehensive of it than Rachael is, but both of us are expecting it to be quite hard - especially so riding up the famous 800ft Ditchling Beacon at about 45 miles into the ride.  Thankfully it's pretty much all downhill from that point on though :)

We'd really welcome comments and discussion, (supportive, instructive, just interested etc), and it really doesn't matter whether you're donating or not, (so don't let that put you off talking about this!), because raising awareness of Heart Disease is perhaps just as important as raising funds to fight it.  If this also sparks interest in more people taking up cycling for fitness and fun - then brilliant, maybe we'll attract a few new TS members along the way and find out about other events....

Geoff Reid:

Ooh....I've just visited our just giving page and see that the BHF is already receiving donations from our sponsors.  I'll thank them privately, but if members are interested they can read the supportive messages left on the page itself :)

Alligator:
Geoff,

I hope you and Rachael enjoy the day and that you get the right weather.  I helped out on the London to Brighton ride quite a few years ago when I was helping with transportation support.

I recall many of the participants commenting about one particular hill which is really hard work and many people had to get off their bikes and walk.  I'm afraid that I can't recall where it was exactly or if it had a name, but thought I'd warn you about it in case you weren't aware of it.

Good Luck  :clap:

Phil Chitty:
Ditchling Beacon - that is one long steep and twisty hill and comes very close to the end. The beacon is 800ft above sea level.

Alex:
I'm very impressed indeed- good luck to you both! I heard it was a killer hill near the end from friends that nearly  did for them.   That beacon is sounding familiar.

I am in awe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version