Author Topic: 2015 British Heart Foundation London To Brighton Cyle Ride  (Read 16116 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
2015 British Heart Foundation London To Brighton Cyle Ride
« on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:50 PM »
This year Tig and I had planned to ride the London Night Rider 100km to raise funds for Cancer Research but I seem to have organised a works team entry into the British Heart Foundations 40th Anniversary London To Brighton Cycle Ride instead.  We can't do both events this year so we'll try to do the Nightrider event in 2016 instead.

As it stands then:  On the 21st of June 2015 Tig and I, plus ten other team mates will be on Clapham Common alongside an estimated 28,000 cyclists who will also ride the 54 miles from London to Brighton.

We'll be posting pictures and videos, and regular updates of how our training and fundraising is going - we set ourselves a fairly modest-but-achievable fundraising target of £500 which we're hoping we'll meet with donations from friends, work colleagues, Facebook Friends and people we might never meet personally, but who are interested in and willing to support us :)

We have a 'Just Giving' page: https://www.justgiving.com/Geoff-and-Rachael-Reid/

JustGiving - Please Sponsor Us

Our Just Giving page entry says:

Thanks for visiting our JustGiving page.

We're cycling from London to Brighton in the British Heart Foundations' 40th Anniversary London To Brighton Ride.

Why?, because Margaret Reid, (Geoffs Mother), and Anne Watkins, (Rachael's Nan), both suffered from heart disease and related problems.

Anne survived a massive heart attack in 1988 and lived with the effects until she passed on in January of this year.

Margaret suffered from poor cardiac health for several years before a  heart attack killed her, whilst visiting her doctor, in 1998.

Heart problems have a devastating effect on the sufferer and their families. Today, if you suffer a cardiac arrest out of hospital in the UK, you have less than a one in ten chance of surviving. The British Heart Foundation is leading the fight to change this and create a Nation of Lifesavers.    We want to help them.

Rachael & I stopped smoking a couple of years ago, replacing the demon weed with walking and cycling. Cycling gives both of us great pleasure and it seems apt that we're able to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation whilst doing what we enjoy.

Donating through JustGiving is simple, fast and totally secure. Your details are safe with JustGiving – they’ll never sell them on or send unwanted emails. Once you donate, they’ll send your money directly to the British Heart Foundation.

It’s the most efficient way to donate – it saves you time and also cuts costs for the charity.

From the bottom of our hearts, (see what I did there?), thank you for your donation.   Geoff & Rachael

We're really looking forward to doing this ride. I'm probably slightly less apprehensive of it than Rachael is, but both of us are expecting it to be quite hard - especially so riding up the famous 800ft Ditchling Beacon at about 45 miles into the ride.  Thankfully it's pretty much all downhill from that point on though :)

We'd really welcome comments and discussion, (supportive, instructive, just interested etc), and it really doesn't matter whether you're donating or not, (so don't let that put you off talking about this!), because raising awareness of Heart Disease is perhaps just as important as raising funds to fight it.  If this also sparks interest in more people taking up cycling for fitness and fun - then brilliant, maybe we'll attract a few new TS members along the way and find out about other events....
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:33:36 AM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: 2015 British Heart Foundation London To Brighton Cyle Ride
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 12:49:09 PM »

Ooh....I've just visited our just giving page and see that the BHF is already receiving donations from our sponsors.  I'll thank them privately, but if members are interested they can read the supportive messages left on the page itself :)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
Geoff,

I hope you and Rachael enjoy the day and that you get the right weather.  I helped out on the London to Brighton ride quite a few years ago when I was helping with transportation support.

I recall many of the participants commenting about one particular hill which is really hard work and many people had to get off their bikes and walk.  I'm afraid that I can't recall where it was exactly or if it had a name, but thought I'd warn you about it in case you weren't aware of it.

Good Luck  :clap:

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
Ditchling Beacon - that is one long steep and twisty hill and comes very close to the end. The beacon is 800ft above sea level.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 04:47:44 PM »
I'm very impressed indeed- good luck to you both! I heard it was a killer hill near the end from friends that nearly  did for them.   That beacon is sounding familiar.

I am in awe.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
Thanks for your support :)

I'm looking forward to riding up Ditchling Beacon - I've already found a hill with a similar elevation profile, upon which I'm practicing, although I haven't yet taken Rachael to it :)

The road up to the top is called Ditchling Bostall. It's a bit of a bugger with 4 distinct inclines, each followed by a bend and slight decline before ascending again.  Without some foreknowledge and psychological preparedness and discipline it looks to be a hard climb, perhaps even for more experienced and fitter riders, let alone 20,000+ fun riders :)

I do have a plan for my attempt on the Beacon - it involves riding as slowly as I possibly can whilst still maintaining a sustainable cadence.  Might seem odd but I think most riders will be pushing up the hill so standing on the pedals for a more aggressive attack probably won't be possible or sensible.  That said, I doubt I could sustain the entire climb standing on t'pegs anyway so I'm planning for and expecting to do it slowly :)

I'll be filming it though, so we'll see if my approach works or fails miserably, but I will be going up and over it.  Whatever happens It will be a memorable experience :)

Offline Phil Chitty

• The user formerly ph1lc
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 09:41:50 AM »
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12505578.Cyclist_completes_Ditchling_Beacon_climb_100_times_in_a_row/

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
I would have thought that the age of your car would entitle you to enter this:

http://www.vccofgb.co.uk/lontobri/general.html

Plus you could wear nice warm clothes instead of lycra!

Seriously though, "Good Luck to you both!!"
What's it all about?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 11:13:16 PM »
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/12505578.Cyclist_completes_Ditchling_Beacon_climb_100_times_in_a_row/

Huge respect to the man.  That's an amazing feat of psychological and physical stamina and determination  :o

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 11:20:40 PM »
I would have thought that the age of your car would entitle you to enter this:

http://www.vccofgb.co.uk/lontobri/general.html

Plus you could wear nice warm clothes instead of lycra!

Seriously though, "Good Luck to you both!!"

It's funny that you should mention my car because earlier today I parked my car on our drive, ambled inside, cancelled my car insurance and sorned my car because I decided that April the 1st will be the first day of a car-free year for me :)

I've been thinking seriously about it for a while now and really can't think of any genuinely important reasons not to do it.  I'll probably start a new topic about it and bore members and readers senseless with my occasional wheel-based witterings and whinges.

I'm really looking forward to it :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46:12 AM »
Our training for the 2015 BHF London to Brighton Cycle Ride goes well  :)

During the last week we're ridden 89.3 miles which included a single ride of 37 miles around the New Forest, deliberately including a lot of hills!.

The next day we wound-down and enjoyed a 'mostly' flatter 24 mile ride from Bradford Upon Avon to the Midford Viaduct, down through the two tunnels, (old railway tunnels), into Bath City centre than back along the Kennet and Avon canal to the Dundas aquaduct, Avoncliffe Aquaduct and back into Bradford Upon Avon.

Even this 'flatter' ride contained a total ascent of almost 1,000 ft so we're feeling pretty good :)

New Forest just North of Ringwood

New Forest: Old Station Tea Rooms at Holmesley, near Burley

New Forest: Rheinfield ornamental drive near Brockenhurst.  We like Brockenhurst....

NB:  The Old Station Tea Rooms are on National Cycle Route 2 which, at this point, runs on the old Southampton to Dorset railway.  It's a gorgeous ride, walk or canter :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 01:40:10 PM »

April update.

Our training continues :)

We're not intimidated by the 54 mile length of the London to Brighton ride - we know we can do the distance - but we have been focusing on our hill climbing technique and general stamina and I'm pleased to report that Rachael has conquered her aversion to riding up hills.  In fact, she recently suggested that we ride to her Mothers in Brightwalton next weekend, and that ride contains plenty of ascents, regardless of route.

I think myself fairly lucky because I get a ride almost every day, but Rachael doesn't have anyone to ride with during the weekday evenings so she 'spins' at her gym.  I honestly don't know how much spinning helps normal cycling but her core and leg strength do seem much improved.

One 'motivational' technique Rachael has self-developed is to overtake me in the very early stages of a hill and remain determined to stay in front :)

It seems to be working for her.  The addition of a mirror to her bike lets her see exactly where I am and because I always plod up hills at roughly the same cadence, (pedalling rpm), and expenditure of effort, (not extreme), she's found a good pace and style by staying just in front of me :)

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 12:31:13 AM »
Have you attempted the ride up to Barbury Castle yet?

Used to do it as a kid. Brimble Hill is a mild warm up compared to the final stretch up to Barbury.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Must get and do that sponsorship Geoff, highest hill in Swindon I've found with the Titanic is Broadway in Moredon, it's short but its a killer. Touch and go whether I made it or not even with battery power.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 03:24:56 PM »
Have you attempted the ride up to Barbury Castle yet?

Used to do it as a kid. Brimble Hill is a mild warm up compared to the final stretch up to Barbury.

Not that way, but we did ride up to Barbury from Marlborough, then left to Hackpen and down to Avebury.  Less steep but a bit longer I think.

Should be riding from home to Brightwalton on Monday, but Aiming to get both Liddington Hill and Barbury Castle into one of our last training rides :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 03:28:33 PM »
Must get and do that sponsorship Geoff, highest hill in Swindon I've found with the Titanic is Broadway in Moredon, it's short but its a killer. Touch and go whether I made it or not even with battery power.

I can't place that one, where is it? :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 05:08:11 PM »
It's off the cross roads by the Rodbourne Arms, coming from your way it's along Moredon Road and turn left.

Like I said it's VERY short, but very steep.

Another, not far away is Haydon View Road and even up Thames Ave, Inglesham Road, and Minety Road are in the area, add that to trip down thought the valley and up the Groundwell slope to Aldi, should give you a  good afternoons mountaineering. 

There is even a 80ft climb from the Seven Fields to the top of Penhill, slow climb first - on grass or on the cycle way then a steep bit a the end.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »
It's off the cross roads by the Rodbourne Arms, coming from your way it's along Moredon Road and turn left.

Like I said it's VERY short, but very steep.

Another, not far away is Haydon View Road and even up Thames Ave, Inglesham Road, and Minety Road are in the area, add that to trip down thought the valley and up the Groundwell slope to Aldi, should give you a  good afternoons mountaineering. 

There is even a 80ft climb from the Seven Fields to the top of Penhill, slow climb first - on grass or on the cycle way then a steep bit a the end.

Ta, found it now :)   We haven't been up or down Broadway - looking at my cycling app I can see that we've been up and down through Penhil about 12 times recently but always favour the pathe along the bottom of Seven Fields then up/down the path which runs alongside Haydon Wick Brook.

Depending on whether we're riding anti or clockwise round the Borough we've either come down into Penhill via St Andrews Ridge or visa versa.  Occasionally we'll go out via Groundwell and down Ermin Street or to South Marston, Stanton Fitzwarren and Blunsdon (invariably into the Cold Harbour pub for a refreshing pint).

I've really enjoyed getting to better know the Borough by bike and I'm constantly surprised by how many really pleasant places are tucked away in places only accessible by foot, bike and scooter :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:44:27 PM »

Tig's just arrived home after a day out with her Mum at the Brightwalton village fete. Her car is still in Brightwalton so we'll be riding there tomorrow come-rain-or shine to retrieve her car :)

Just over half the London to Brighton mileage but a decent amount of hills.

Picture to follow :)

Sponsorship:  Thanks to a couple of very recent and very generous donations to our just giving page we're at £269 - just over halfway to our £500 target :)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
We did it, riding the 29.x miles from West Swindon to Brightwalton in 3 hours and 7 minutes plus about 90 minutes of resting, gawking at views and eating lunch :)

It's a lovely ride, quite strenuous in parts (at our fitness level), but very rewarding.  Rachael has definitely conquered her fear of hills :)

We left home, pedaled our way through town and out to the Sun Inn on Marlborough Road and turned right into Day House Lane. (Incidentally, I noticed that the 2nd (massive) BADBURY PARK sign has been removed).

Day House Lane ends almost exactly underneath the A419 and we passed into Meadow Way which in turns becomes Medbourne Lane.  At the junction with Medbourne Road we turned left and rode up the hill, past The Bakers Arms and forked left to the top of the hill to join the Ridgeway.

We rode along the Ridgeway, crossed the B4192, and along to the crossroads at Foxhill where we turned right onto the Baydon Road.  Just after the tunnel under the M4 the road sweeps left and behinds to climb.  I've always wondered what this hill would be like to ride up and was pleasantly surprised to find that its 5% gradient (about 1:20) isn't bad at all.  Almost at the top of the hill we turned left into Goor Lane (?).

Near the far end of Goor Lane we had to ascend a 13% (1:8) hill which in two in three parts briefly became 16% (about 1:6)  That was hard on both of us.  Not ashamed to admit we were both down on the granny rings (lowest gearing) for most of that climb :)

Click any thumbnail for larger picture:

Highest point of the ride - 801 ft

After reaching the highest point we turned left towards Baydon Hole Farm and rode into the Green Lane (unmetalled road) which connects to Folly Road (another unmetalled road) and crossed some of the Lambourne gallops and rode down into Lambourne where we stopped for lunch.

After lunch we rode along Newbury Road to Eastbury, East Garston and into Great Shefford where we turned left on the A338 Wantage Road and headed North for a couple of miles and deliberate rode straight past Buckham Hill, (the most direct route), because neither of us really fancied tackling it on this ride and instead opted to take the next right-fork and take the slightly less gruelling hill which leads to the centre of Brightwalton Village.

Arriving at Rachael's mums :)

The route and speed/elevation data.

A really nice ride during which my mapmyride app informs me that I burned 2,500+ calories :)