Author Topic: Mystery "footbridge" in Freshbrook  (Read 2221 times)

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
Mystery "footbridge" in Freshbrook
« on: March 24, 2015, 09:44:48 PM »
I thought this was the best category to post this thread in, given that a footbridge is essentially a form in which non-motor transport can travel over. What got my attention the other day was when I went for a walk through the Freshbrook area (near the underpass to the West Swindon Centre), and at the end of one road was a sign saying "footbridge closed". But the only issue is that there is no footbridge - the only one I can think of in this direction links Ramleaze to Grange Park, and it was last closed several years ago. The picture which I've attached was taken the other day. Today there was also a mini digger at the site, which makes me ask if there's a plan to build a bridge over Whitehill Way? Is this the case, or is it just a lack of a sign that can read "path" instead?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
Re: Mystery "footbridge" in Freshbrook
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 11:10:31 PM »
Is this the one at the end of Beaumaris Road? There has been a footbridge there for years - check google maps.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Beaumaris+Rd,+Swindon+SN5+8LJ/@51.5581323,-1.8326988,52m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x4871438e33b2734b:0xa95b477066e18143

You can see the remains of bridge in the skip.

Offline RJDG14

• Hello !
    • RJDG14 Online
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:45:15 AM »
Ah - I never knew that there was a footbridge there. The path was never properly paved so I never found much use of walking down there...

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

This path (including footbridge) is on my Saturday morning list - riding home from work in the early a.m of Saturday mornings I deliberately vary my route to include somewhere new.

Work to install the new bridge seems to be proceeding well so it won't be long now :)