Author Topic: Interesting area on Swindon Railway line  (Read 2164 times)

Offline Gregoras

• Hello !
Interesting area on Swindon Railway line
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:48:26 AM »
So a few years ago, I had visited Swindon by train coming from North Wales. On my way back, a couple of stops later, I noticed that there are many houses and buildings scattered on hills either side of the tracks. The strange thing was that they looked like they came straight out of fantasy fiction, one might even say it was like a scene out of Lord of the Rings! It was very magical passing through this, but I have no idea where it is and have even tried to look at many maps with town names etc, and looking them up revealed nothing. Would anyone be able to chime in and say what area this is? I would very much like to visit this place so any help would be very welcome   :thumb:

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Interesting area on Swindon Railway line
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:58 PM »
Did you get to Swindon/N. Wales via Bristol or Gloucester/Cheltenham? To me it sounds like you when down the Golden Valley Line between Swindon and Gloucester.  If it's a couple of stops after Swindon then it could be the Stroud valley that you are thinking of (the train stops at Kemble and the Stroud).

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 03:01:19 PM »
I've seen some "odd" houses near the railway line at Bristol.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »
Could this be it??

http://lammas.org.uk/
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Gregoras

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:18:32 PM »
Well it would have to be the Lammas then, no other type of house could have triggered my interest. Trouble is that this seems to be a project hailing from Pembrokeshire, I tried to track down the Gloucester line but could not see such houses, are you sure they exist around the area?

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
Don't know that the Stroud area does have any of those sorts of buildings, but it is a fairly sort eco/green area (had one of the first Green Party run councils or something along those lines) so could well have that sort of thing going on there.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 10:12:11 AM »
http://ofgoldenroses.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/bristols-fairytale-cottages-blaise.html

These are close to the railway line that goes under the River Severn to Wales but I am sure that I have seen others really close to the line but cannot find a link.
What's it all about?

Offline Gregoras

• Hello !
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »
If only I knew the exact line I took that day, I would go and see the area again and make a proper note of it this time. By the way, the last time I was there was around 2008, but I don't why these buildings would suddenly be removed. If anyone knows of any frequent commuters on these lines, please do tell!

Offline Muggins

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 12:38:08 PM »

I could live very happily in almost every one of those :)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
The last lot I put up were for sheep.  Still, whatever floats your boat Geoff. :o