Author Topic: View these photos without barfing... have you recently eaten here?!  (Read 2880 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/would-you-eat-here-stomach-churning-5235339

Swindon's finest...  :o

How the hell did this place get a three star rating?!

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: View these photos without barfing... have you recently eaten here?!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 07:02:16 PM »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/would-you-eat-here-stomach-churning-5235339

Swindon's finest...  :o

I think *'s are assessed using inspectors posing as normal customers so they never see what is going on behind the scenes.

Tripadvisor doesn't rate it too highly.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 08:37:17 AM »
Question is, when was it last inspected before this inspection?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Donian

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »

I understand Swindon Borough Council have recently been investigated by the Food Standards Agency who uncovered that they were issuing hygiene ratings without actually doing inspections. This is obviously breaking the regulations and they have now been told to actually do inspections instead of just assigning a rating.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
I know they were doing the inspections two years ago, I was present at one, that might brook the question, were they doing some and not others, if so why not?

Not at all surprised if they were not though, not enough people left to do all the jobs.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:37:44 AM »

Oh my.  I thought I'd read this before breakfast.  Now decided to skip breakfast, thank you Arkells :)

I'd appreciate someone explaining the difference/relationship between the hotel *(star) rating system, Swindon Borough Councils 'Scores on the doors' *Star rating system and how both/neither star rating systems actually correlate to official hygiene inspections.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 12:42:23 PM »
I'd appreciate someone explaining the difference/relationship between the hotel *(star) rating system, Swindon Borough Councils 'Scores on the doors' *Star rating system and how both/neither star rating systems actually correlate to official hygiene inspections.

The hotel star rating about facilities and service as opposed to the scores on the doors which relates to hygiene.

Several years ago, a friend who worked at the Marriott explained the difference between 4* and 5*. For example, in order to achieve a 5* rating a hotel would need to have a 24 hour chef so that a guest arriving at 3am could order from the full hotel menu if they wanted to. A 4* hotel might have a limited menu that a night porter could simply heat up. In some cases a 4* star hotel might have more luxurious rooms than a 5* hotel. Hotel management might decide not to provide expensive facilities that are rarely used in order to invest more money on the rooms and other facilities that are used. A tourist hotel without business/conference facilities might miss out on a 5* rating even though their guests would have no need for the missing facilities.

The tourist board rosettes are different again. I assume this is to distinguish between a hotel or B&B providing good tourist type facilities compared with a hotel aimed at business customers.

I am not sure about the scores on the doors, but don't really take them seriously. I think they are as much about management procedure and documentation as hygiene. The way the system is reported gives the impression that a restaurant is inspected and receives a 1* to 5* rating and implies that 1* is really bad. I am not sure if this is really the case. A restaurant which is unhygienic and a potential risk to public health would be closed down. Similarly, a poor restaurant which doesn't pose an immediate risk would receive an improvement notice.

Given that hygiene regulations in the UK are fairly stringent, a restaurant with 1* and no improvement notice is probably better than the 1* rating implies. To me a 1* rating indicates that a restaurant has been inspected and deemed fit to trade. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that Kaspas low rating is due to it being a new restaurant employing inexperienced staff who don't follow procedure to the letter or forget to complete some of the paperwork. The 1* rating wouldn't stop me eating in Kaspas, but the long queues and noisy atmosphere would.

I won't be eating or drinking in the Great Western anymore though. The photos are indicative of a lengthy period of neglect. This is too bad to be shrugged off as a temporary blip in hygiene.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »
The SBC scores on the doors cover all aspects of the kitchen. We had a patch A4 size of bare plaster on a painted wall - someone must have painted around, but not behind a certificate - when that came down we had to paint over the bare plaster. 

On the same occasion, and for the first time for some reason we were told to move the fire blanket which was to the right of the cooker but not behind it, it had to be put somewhere where people were not likely to reach across the cooker hob.

Another time, volunteers had not received updated training - although they had been trained.

I don't think we ever failed on bad hygiene, as such and regularly  received 5 scores on the doors. Which was no mean feat when we had two or three different groups using the kitchen over the week to make meals.  Washing up liquids, washing of towels etc came into it.

I was there on a couple of occasions when the 'examiners' came, I didn't accompany them around, but had a full report from staff and saw the list of things they check - bit like an MOT.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 10:19:22 AM »

Thank you both :)

Essentially then: A 1* rating means that the establishment poses no imminent threat to health on hygiene grounds but improvements could be made to procedures and facilities....

...and a 5* rating means that the procedures and facilities are excellent but the level of hygiene is not necessarily better than a 1* rating?  ;D

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2015, 05:32:58 PM »
I don't think that's what it meant Geoff.

Hygiene of course would be important - ovens, units, back of ovens, sinks, floors, equipment etc. all came into it.  Bu then if staff didn't receive training they might not handle the food correctly or appropriately, so that's why the training aspect was important.

To get the stars, they were not given one star per aspect, but the overall % of what you got right.  So if you had everything else 100% and the kitchen was filthy, you wouldn't get any starts.   

Thing is with staff training, "You can lead an horse to water, it might not drink!"

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2015, 11:13:01 PM »
I don't think that's what it meant Geoff.

To get the stars, they were not given one star per aspect, but the overall % of what you got right.  So if you had everything else 100% and the kitchen was filthy, you wouldn't get any starts.   

I think you'll find that you have just agreed with my previous statement:

Essentially then: A 1* rating means that the establishment poses no imminent threat to health on hygiene grounds but improvements could be made to procedures and facilities....

...and a 5* rating means that the procedures and facilities are excellent but the level of hygiene is not necessarily better than a 1* rating?  ;D

The hygiene in a 5* establishment is not necessarily any better than that in a 1* establishment although it's record keeping procedures might be 100% better.

Presumably a 'no stars' eatery is somewhere to completely avoid.

It's a worthless system unless and until the general public are given some context as to the value and meaning of the rating.  If establishments were rated, for example, as 3* for hygiene, 4* procedures and 5* for staff training, I'd have more faith in it. 

But SBC apparently awarded the Great Western Hotel 3 stars anyway.