Author Topic: Why Is The Green Wheelie Charge Separate?  (Read 6451 times)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
Why Is The Green Wheelie Charge Separate?
« on: February 23, 2015, 09:52:49 AM »
The more I see this Council in a state of denial over everything, including the Council Tax rise last year for collecting green waste, the more I smell a rat over the operation of this service.  It comes under 'StreetSmart'.

They would sell more of the Green Wheelie Service if they admitted it was a selective CT increase and allowed us to pay in instalments from the renewel year, along with the collection of Council Tax. Do they think we are all incapable of seeing through their little game of politics, i.e. In stating NO Council Tax rise this year, other than the Police portion?

Offline Muggins

Re: Why Is The Green Wheelie Charge Separate?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
We didn't get one, so we haven't paid an increase, but looking out at the garden, I'm teetering on the brink.

So is it worth it? Getting a green bin/I mean?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:50:22 PM »
Yes, I think so, we have one at each bungalow, (4 mins walk away pushing the wheelbarrow) so if we have more at one than the other in one fortnight I move it to the one where there's room. At the peak season, both are usually full. :coffee:

It is certainly cheaper than running the engine to and from the tip, and the time wasted there, sad thing is the non gardening weather and dormant season ceases the need to put them out, of course. There is a about a 65% take up in my road, mainly retired residents with good garden plots.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:51:17 PM »
So is it worth it? Getting a green bin/I mean?

Yes, I think so.

We aren't really gardeners, as we have a busy working life and prefer to spend the weekend with friends and family over garden chores. As a result, we only generate grass cuttings and an annual hedge trim. We don't compost either as we have no need for the final product.

We don't fill our green bin, but it still saves us making the trip to the tip and saves my car from getting ruined. If our bin isn't full we let the neighbours top it up.

If you are a keen gardener you will probably use it to it's full potential. If not, you might be able to share the cost with a neighbour. If you generate too much green waste, at least you can put the dirty smelly stuff in the green bin and only put the cleaner stuff in the car.

Over Christmas we missed our normal bin collection and generated too much non recyclable waste for the black bin. The green bin was useful as temporary storage for the excess which we got rid of over a few weeks. It kept the foxes off the black bags and didn't smell because of the cold weather.

We don't regret paying the £40.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
I'll give it a go then I think.  Thanks.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 03:34:29 PM »
Ok, filled in the form and paid up two weeks ago, where's me green bin??

As the idea is for me to wheel it down the garden fill it up as I go, I don't want to start chopping until I can do that. 

Come on SBC you've got my money hope I don't get 50 weeks instead of 52!  Or 39 collection instead of 40.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 07:41:27 PM »
Come on SBC you've got my money hope I don't get 50 weeks instead of 52!  Or 39 collection instead of 40.

It's a fortnightly service, so you'll only get 25 or 26 collections.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
Ok then, will I only get 24 instead of 25/26? 

Where's me bin, I want to start taking down the grape vine.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »

I agree that the service isn't particularly well managed.

We signed up part way through the year. We aren't sure if we get 12 months from when we joined the scheme or if we get until 31st March and the scheme starts again in April.

In your case, I am not sure if your service starts immediately or if you have signed up for next year's service, ie April onwards.

This is one of the problems with buying extra services from SBC. They are geared up to collect taxes and deliver the level of service that they consider to be affordable or acceptable.

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 09:56:38 AM »
 :wakeup:
Now, here's a good one ... has anyone else tried to renew via the online facility and found that their anti-virus comes up with CONNECTION UNTRUSTED ... not secure!! ww4.swindon.gov.uk   They should be collecting this renewal through the Council Tax because that is what it is ... an increase, not an add on!! Couldn't understand it, but should it be www.  I'm no techie? Is it their error on their website?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 10:05:54 AM »
 :smitten:
Ok then, will I only get 24 instead of 25/26? 

Email Lead Member Brian Ford M and ask him!!

or Leon Barrett Head of Streetsmart.

Or come to Cabinet next Wednesday and ask him via Public Questions!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 01:45:21 PM »
I'll be a good citizen Richard and give them another week - that would be Wednesday.

They have had my money since the 25th February. Still no bin. 

After that they might well get a round robin letter, why is it everything the Borough does, costs me money and hours of my time? 

And they want more volunteers  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

Offline Morsey

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 03:52:03 PM »
Waited long enough ... phoned the department and told them their ww4.swindon.gov.uk was incorrect ... I renewed online and the lady admitted there had been problems. She was going to pass my info to a person who is scratching their head trying to suss out the reasons they ain't getting many calls ... presumably? :2funny:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:44:43 AM »
Seeing as how we all came home last week to pink labels on our household waste wheelie bins asking for people to join the scheme, you would think they would have the resources to sign people up and get the binds out,  ready and waiting. 

It is now three weeks since I paid my £40.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 07:56:47 PM »
We received a reminder today, advising us that our renewal is due in late April. It appears that the charge covers 12 months from when you take up the service, ie. not 1st April - 31st March.

Hopefully Muggins will get 12 months from receipt of the bin, not 12 months from payment.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:50 AM »
And I could have been three weeks in to a garden tidy up. I'm reluctant to start and have it ready in piles.  i.e. having to do it twice.

Just as well I'm busy gathering evidence of use of a path they decided to close without consultation.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 03:15:31 PM »
I applied on Monday for the green bin and it seemed to go through OK. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to come. I saw one being delivered a couple of weeks ago. It seems a good deal if we get fewer hours at the tip.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:49 PM »
You posting reminded me, so I just phoned to find out - I'm told it should have been delivered by now, so they are putting a chase up on it. 

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 09:04:06 AM »
My bin arrived yesterday.  1 month after paying for it. 

Note to self, 10minutes every day filling it,  to make it worthwhile.

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »
My bin arrived yesterday.

:banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »
Yes, Spunky, if I was an impromptu sort of gal, I'd have a safe arrival of bin party. :hippy: :hippy:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57:30 AM »
Thought I'd give you an update on the Green Bin. Looking back in previous posts, I can now see why the delay in delivery, it meant that I  got my bin just before the year ending, so it will fall in line with the financial year.

I sais to Mr Muggins that if I was paying £40 for it, for more or less half a year collection, then it was not going out for collection without being full.  the whole of the grape vine came down and half the Pear tree, then we found out you can't put big branches into it, so I still have a pile of wood to get rid of.  I'm enjoying the sculpture effect of the grapevine to might stick that on a pile of bricks in a corner. 

Enough to say that several large plants, have gone the same way. Its made me get out and do a short time gardening every day, so that can only be a good thing. 

I don't really know if it was worth it, maybe I could have got away with paying a friend to take it down the tip? In fact the only thing I couldn't have put on the compost was those big branches I couldn't put in the bin anyway. Maybe its been worth it to get rid of weeds. 

I hate Wood Avens and Sun Spurge.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 09:03:56 AM »
Hi Muggins,

Have you considered advertising the wood you have on here or on Freecycle?  Many people with wood burners and open fires may be starting to think about building up a stash of wood for the winter.  The wood from the pear tree may be of more interest, but the smaller pieces may still make good kindling for someone.

There's nothing to lose by posting on Freecycle and seeing if anyone takes up the offer.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »
Somebody who likes wood turning or has a lathe might be very interested in the pear....!
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 04:12:44 PM »
I just realised that I have not seen the pile of Pear for a while, so must have given that to a friend with a wood burner.  We are not allowed to put into the green bin,  branches any thinker than we can cut with loppers, so if they are thicker than a broom stick. I did offer them to a spoon whittling friend they were too small for his requirements.

Nothing gets thrown out in this house if it can be of use to anybody.  Now what do I do with all these Video tapes?

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 05:58:15 PM »
 :argh:

Our green bin wasn't collected last week. The fools at SBC missed the whole street. We left it a few days thinking that they would come back, but no such luck.

When my girlfriend rang the council to point out their mistake, she was told that as she had waited more than two days to report it, they wouldn't come back until the next due date.

What other service provider gets away charging you for a service, failing to deliver it and then refusing to put it right?

This is the reason why I would never have considered buying Wi-Fi from a bunch of incompetents who are so used to providing a bad service that they think it is acceptable.

If I fail to pay my council tax and they take more than two days to notify me, can I claim that they are too late?

:argh: